Montanes belaying pin rack question

Hi all, 

Currently building the Occre Montanes just starting the frame. I recently finished the AL San Juan Nepomuceno. On the Nepomuceno (see photo) the belaying pin racks adjacent to the masts have belaying pins. On the Montanes kit and all the images I have been able to dig up it looks like the racks do not have pins or they are maybe just not shown on the historic drawings. From the kit plans the lines are tied around the rack (to me seems rather archaic). Anyway on with the question, should the pin rack near the masts have belaying pins or not or is there something I'm missing?   

Curt

1.jpg

Based on the years 1765 for San Juan Nepomuceno and 1794 for Montanes, if the Spanish ships were close to the British when belaying pins came into standard use (about 1770), the SJN would NOT have pins, but the Montanes would have them.  If you are interested in accuracy check everything from these two kit makers against contemporary information before using them.  Based on the build logs here at MSW, all the kits from both are loaded with incorrect parts and designs.  Definitely check the diameter of the pins.  At a scale of  1:70 for the Montanes, the handle diameter should be no more than about 0.025".  At this size, wood will be difficult to work with and maybe weak, so consider brass that is painted or other wise colored brown. 

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Allan, 

Sorry so long getting back, Thank you!

Yes I noticed that about the kits. I have been rounding up as much info as I can but it varies so much between the sources I might go with the pins as it's easier to tie to pins then wrapping around a rail. Guess I'll decide when I get to that point.

I was leaning towards brass pins I tried to turn the wood down but like you said just too small.

Curt.

Hi Curt,

Your call of course.   A clove hitch holds well and is a simple knot if you forego the pins.  In either case, a touch of shellac or clear nail polish for poly rope, or white glue for cotton.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU