Name the Ship Game

RMS Olympic

Is it one of those U.S. 3 Deckers ? Pennsylvania or the like!

Eamonn

Total shot in the dark by the way :)

Edited by egkb

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Is it one of those U.S. 3 Deckers ? Pennsylvania or the like!

Eamonn

Total shot in the dark by the way :)

Good shooting, Eamonn.

It is the USS Pennsylvania. Keel laid in 1821, launched in 1837 and commissioned in 1838. She made but one voyage from Delaware Bay to Chesapeake Bay where she was placed in ordinary. In 1842 she became a receiving ship at Norfolk Navy Yard until April 1861 when she was burned to the waterline to prevent capture by Confederate forces. The largest sailing warship built by the US Navy with a crew of 1100, she was pierced for 136 guns, was armed with 120 (104 x 32 pounders and 16 x 8 inch shell guns) but is frequently listed as 140 guns.

Your turn, Eamonn. 

post-70-0-74663700-1362476559.jpg

Current Builds:  ESMERALDA Chilean Navy School Ship, 1/640 in a bottle

insanity Dan Clapp's hard water race boat in a bottle

Completed Build:  Prairie Schooner OGALLALA 1/96 in a bottle

Research Project:  Cruizer-class Brig-Sloops

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Thanks DFellingham,

I remembered the American 3 decker's on a calendar back in the late 80's that was in my office,, I hadn't known at the time that 'of the Line' ships were in the early US Navy, large Frigates yes but not 2 and 3 deck affairs! 

Anyhoo next up from me is this little beauty, ye might have to put your thinking caps on for her ( I was reminded of her from a post further up, in fact I thought it might have been the same boat, but it wasn't.. she is of a similar vintage though!)

3 of these were built but it is this particular one that should leap out at you from its history.. you just need to be logical to see why it would appeal to me.

Ok That's enough hints.. probably too many in fairness, but than she is a rather ordinary looking vessel.

Sláinte

Eamonn

post-5925-0-27877000-1390505031_thumb.jpg

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Nice Jan ... but not quiet that easy.. though you wouldn't be too 'far' away for this 'Hound of the Sea'

Ahh the clues just keep coming .. though one of the 2 clues in the sentence above is totally accurate, yet practically useless :P the other will be much more help.. but which is which?

Remember of the 3 built, it is the boat in the photo I want.. it should be obvious which is the one, when you find them!

Eamonn

The gunboat Helga.

Used against the insurgents in the 1916 Irish uprising.

"26 April 1916: Field guns from Trinity College and the gunboat Helga on the River Liffey bombarded the Irish Citizen’s Army HQ at Liberty Hall and demolished it. Buildings in O’Connell St were also targeted and destroyed. The upper floor of the GPO was evacuated has the men there came under sustained attack from British snipers and guns." Link

Edited by Kevin from Hampton Roads

Kevin

Hampton, VA

Current Builds: Skipjack Albatross - 1:32

On Hold: Yacht Atlantic - Scientific

Completed:  Ships Boat - MS - First Planked Kit

That's the One Kevin, though in the photo she is in Irish Navy guise as Muirchú (meaning Hound of the Sea, in Irish Language, that was the Totally Accurate yet Practically Useless hint! :) )

She was the one of the first Vessels in the Irish Navy, and had an interesting career, as Kevin mentioned being used against the Insurgents in the Easter Rising then being used by the Irish as a Naval Patrol Vessel only a few years later!

3 were built and I believe 2 of them went to Canada!

Well done Kevin and over to you!

Sláinte

Eamonn

Hello Titanic,

Feel free to join the game!

But..you are only allowed to put up a new ship if  you have correctly named the previous one, and the poster of that ship has acknowledged you were right. In this case Kevin can post a new picture.

(and (hint:) ): we can see the name of the pics posted, so when you post a picture named olympic, we don't even need your hint with respect to the name of the ship :))

Jan

Hello Kevin and Eamonn, that's what I love most to this game, it gives you a good opportunity to find out things about various ships with so interesting histories. Thanks for posting that!  @ Titanic: please, come in and have a seat.. it's free for everybody to guess the ship and, if you guess, then you can post the next one!

Cheers,

Dorin.

P.S: Kevin, don't forget it's your turn! 

Ok here it goes. The ship I decided on is one that I spent 5 years on and got to know very well. The ship class will be easy to get, but, you need to name the specific ship. This ship had many unique features that set it apart from other ships in the class. I made sure that all 3 of the pictures captured one of the most noticeable feature (that is, if you are a details oriented person).

post-9530-0-61186100-1390602499_thumb.jpg

post-9530-0-07728500-1390602517_thumb.jpg

post-9530-0-05322300-1390602518_thumb.jpg

Kevin

Hampton, VA

That ship's indeed a beauty... She looks like a destroyer and could she be the, hmmm, HMS Daring? :)

Edited by Titanic

IMG 9356

TITANIC is now on social media - follow her:

Twitter       - @Titanic_1212

Facebook - TitanicTheShip

Well there is only about 30 odd of them :P Lets start with the 'A's'.. just kiddin, was trying to find particularly distinguishing features compared to the 'norm (and using your 3 photos) and I keep coming back to that Radar antenna :)

Eamonn

I'll have to let somebody else follow up as it's bed time over here (just past 2 in the morning) so good night Kevin, and have a great rest of the day. If it is still there in the morning (or thereabouts) I'll have a dig around again.

All the best from sleepy Ireland.

Eamonn

Dang this is tough Kevin, there are subtle differences between nearly all these Destroyers, particularly when you take into account the changes that would have been made over their careers (many can be ruled out completely though as the Aircraft hanger is the wrong shape, ie whether it overhangs the pain deck or not! and one has a rather unusual mast to say the least)

Believe it or not the most help came from the Ships Badge, which eliminated some more, unfortunately no photo I could find showed this area at all clearly in all the remaining vessels.. so here goes..

A guess based on the above..

USS Briscoe (DD-977)

All the Best Kevin

Eamonn

Eamonn, It was not the Briscoe. You were on the right track with the Radar antenna. This ship was built with a different air search radar than all of the others.

Note: The USS Radford (DD-968) was the one with the funny mast. The mast was added to the USS Radford in 1997 and used as a testing platform for new technology.

Kevin

Hampton, VA

Hi Kevin, without actually going to the US Naval Achieve and checking individual masts against the various refits etc, I'm afraid I'd have to start listing the other 10 or so that I narrowed down..

Any more Hints? :P

Eamonn

Oldendorf (DD-972) was the test platform for the AN/SPQ-9B Anti-ship Missile Defense (ASMD) Firecontrol Radar. Is this the ship?

Hi DFellingham, I eliminated her as her Aircraft hanger doesn't extend out over the main deck (unless she had a refit of course)

Only a 'few' more to go.. :) :)

E

DFellingham, it is not the Oldendorf (DD-972). Titanic it was not the Kidd, the Kidd was the lead in it's on class.

Here is the hint. When they were building this ship they ran out of Spruance Class parts, so they used parts from the Ticonderoga class and what could be salvaged to finish it. This included the Fresh water evaporators (Ticonderoga class - never had water hours in 5 years), HF Communications suit (from a decommissioned ship), Air Search Radar (Ticonderoga Class) and the huge Steel Armored door on the starboard side just aft of the break (Virginia Class Cruiser I believe). I never understood why put a steel armored door on an aluminum superstructure.

Kevin

Hampton, VA

Your clues suggest this may have been the last Spruance-class destroyer built:  USS Hayler (DD-997).

DFellingham, you are correct. The USS Hayler (DD-997) was suppose to be a class of it's own, DDH-997 (helicopter destroyer). But the Navy could not get enough funding to build it as such so completed it as a Spruance class destroyer. By the time it was built they were out of parts so had to find them where they could. All of the spruance class destroyers had the SPS-40 Air Search Radar except for the Hayler, it had the SPS-49. It made it easy to find at the piers, when there could be several Spruance classes nested together. As far as that armored door, I remember having to do maintenance on it. We had to bring in riggers just to change the hinge pins. During heavy seas the door would be secured because it could crush someone if it closed unexpectedly. All of the other Spruances and Ticonderogas had a large aluminum door in that location.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Hayler_%28DD-997%29

DFellingham, you win. So what have you got?

Kevin

Hampton, VA

Thanks, Kevin. Two days ago I would not have been able to distinguish a Spruance from an Arleigh Burke. That's why I enjoy this game, it forces me to learn about ships outside of my primary interest in "wooden ships and iron men."

I'll be back in a short while with something made of wood.  :P

Dave

Name the Ship:

post-70-0-46497700-1390678436.jpg

Sorry, this is the best image I could find of this ship, a sail plan, but sufficiently detailed to identify it.

Retouched to remove "give-away" details (like the name of the ship).