Name the Ship Game

RMS Olympic

Well, as promised, here is the next mystery ship. She has a rather obscure place in in American maritime history compared to the likes of  say, the Constitution. Nevertheless, she figured prominently in her own way as a proof of concept to her owners, and as an asset to the people who built her and sailed her.

post-8353-0-48053800-1407418276.jpg 

No Menno, this ship predates the use of motors or propellers. And yes the sketch is from a replica. There are few surviving details of the ship, but among those that have were a small sketch drawn on some incidental paperwork.  

No Menno, this ship predates the use of motors or propellers. And yes the sketch is from a replica. There are few surviving details of the ship, but among those that have were a small sketch drawn on some incidental paperwork.  

Yes, I'm completely aware she predates the use of motors or propellers. Probably even a few centuries. ;)  And that's why I pointed out that cutout.

That sprit isn't very common for a ship this size is it? I know some ship types still have it but they are all from inland waters. I'm having the feeling this drawing representing a very old type of ship. Maybe even 17th century? Because to me3 it looks like something build for coastal waters. But is a sprit sail menageable at sea at all? Ive googled a lot of painting about sea going vessels but non of them have a sprit. Very confusing, yet very interesting.

Edited by Menno

I apologize about the rudder cut out, I see what you mean.icon_redface.gif You are correct Menno, it is the Virginia. She was built by the settlers of the Popham Colony in what is now the State of Maine, a contemporary of the Jamestown colony, but not as well known. She was very likely the first ship built by English settlers in America, and was built to prove to the colony backers that ships could be built of American materials. In that she was successful. She completed two trans Atlantic voyages, including surviving a hurricane. Here are links that you might find interesting. http://www.mfship.org/Maines_First_Ship/Home.html and http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/14/columns/guest/stan/index.htm#.U-SxguNdWSo. 

Thanks, I found that first link earlier and I must say it was a very interesting choice you made with a lot of history to it.

But I still don't know what that rudder cutout is called in English so if anyone knows? 

And please feel free to correct my bad nautical English because it'll be a very useful way to learn it and it will make this topic more interesting for readers to follow.

Now, let me have a look for a new one....

edit: found a build log about the Virginia replica for who is interested. 

http://virginiamfs.blogspot.com/

Edited by Menno

Thanks for the link to that great site, Menno. I haven't yet found another name for the cut out, I have only found it described as a rudder cut out, or a propeller cut out. There's probably a term for it somewhere, but I haven't seen it yet, maybe someone on this site has the knowledgedont_know.gif

Menno,

It is sometimes called a propellor 'aperture' in English.

Edited by Stockholm tar

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Menno - some clues might be helpful, if something sits for a while it probably means people are struggling...

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

I wonder whether I should give more clues right now. I'm having the feeling noone is there to read it anyway. :huh:  

Menno,

Actually, I think there are probably quite a few following this thread, so, as has been suggested... :rolleyes:

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Maybe the clue I gave earlier was a little misleading by saying that she was the only WWI loss within that navy because that may suggest that she was hit by a torpedo or whatever, but she was hit by a storm. Still making her the only loss though, which suggest that we better look at another direction then Europe. 

Menno - some clues might be helpful, if something sits for a while it probably means people are struggling...

I was thinking, most people are away on holiday, and I'm just only entertaining myself. ^_^

Edited by Menno

Yes, that background excludes quite a lot. Although it could have been somewhere on the southern hemisphere as well. Anyway, Canada is right and

that together with the rest of the clues and the ship build (clearly not build during the 16th century) should give enough info I hope.

Did I already mention its a steel build?

Is it the Dutch Salvage Tug Jacob Van Heemskreck?

Thanks

Ted

Calm Seas and Fair Winds

On the ways:   HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina

Launched:       Scottish Maid - Artesania Latina

On the Shelf:   Minature lifeboat - Model Shipways

Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

Emma C.Berry - Model Shipways