Name the Ship Game

RMS Olympic

Yea!

Here is a vessel that is currently sailing.

Good Luck.

post-5443-0-74706900-1408901434_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Ted

Calm Seas and Fair Winds

On the ways:   HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina

Launched:       Scottish Maid - Artesania Latina

On the Shelf:   Minature lifeboat - Model Shipways

Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

Emma C.Berry - Model Shipways

Old Salt, I believe this is the M/V Tustumena of the Alaska Marine Highway System. She was built in 1963 in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. She serves South-Central Alaska and the Aleutian chain of islands. Jan is correct, because of the waters in which she serves, she is a certified ocean-going vessel. The structure on her stern is a car elevator used in those communities where there is no direct ramp to the car deck. Because of her age the State of Alaska will begin the process of replacement in 2015.  

Sorry about the delay in answering,

Good Job!

You are absolutely correct.

She serves  Southwestern  Alaska.  You are also correct regarding the structure on the stern, The tide fall is often more than 35 feet so the elevator was employed to handle the vehicles.

A "National Geographic" writer once dubbed her the 'Dramamine express' when he rode with us from Seward to Kodiak one week.

Thanks

Ted

Calm Seas and Fair Winds

Oh Yeah!

Spent quite a bit of time on the Old Girl.

The only new ship I was ever privileged to sail on.

She was a little underpowered, two 10 cylinder opposed piston Fairbanks Morse.  Should have had a couple of Ingersoll Rands

A little short for her height, and kind of round bottomed, which gave rise to a weird "corkscrew" motion.

It was Several hours from Seward to Kodiak, and right out across the Gulf of Alaska.  Got some really Nasty weather at times.

I do regret leaving her, however, Alaska was a Great Place to live in those days.( Mid '60's right after the big Quake)

Sailing the Tustumena, was like going to sea with a dinner bucket.  Sail every Monday morning and usually back into Seward by late Friday evening or early Sat. Moring depending on the weather.

Thanks

Ted

Calm Seas and Fair Winds

Sorry it took so long... here is a ship that I'm sure someone will guess quickly. She had the dubious distinction of being the last. Sorry for the poor photo quality but it was the only photo I found of her. BTW is that a fifty-post lolipop I got under my avatar?

post-8353-0-84866700-1409534596.jpg

Edited by Werik

Is it one of the Japanese 'Minekaze' class?  If the last one ,then the 'Numakaze'?

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Think I have it, Nokaze?....but not sure why its last of anything...

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Thanks, Werik..and thanks David for explaining!

Here's the next one, a little change of pace... :D

post-891-0-10850200-1409747289_thumb.jpg

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Jan - not the Jolly Sailor.  "HMS" is not incorrect...but don't want to say more without it giving away so soon.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Hi Jason,

While I can't give any answer (yet) to your riddle, I really appreciate this one! An old building which incorporates parts of an HMS Whatsthename...  really interesting, will follow with much interest!

By the way, googling is of almost no use here....  as long as you can't know precisely what to look for :D

So far I only found the story of the Resolute Desk from the White House, made from the wood of HMS Resolute. Interesting story, but of no use for our quiz!

Doreltomin, I'm glad you like this, thought it would be an interesting change.

Some pointers trying not to give it away.  The ship served under 2 flags, and was involved in a rather famous "incident" that contributed to starting the war in which she changed hands.  She was "broke" up shortly after that and timber sold to construct this building.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Jason,

Fascinating place that you've selected and an interesting history.  I'm not going to answer as I have no pics of ships to name.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Robhvw - not HMS President - although a good suggestion, I'd forgotten about the "Little Belt" affair.  As far as I'm aware the condition of President was so defective or rotten that she was not of further.  You're very hot on the trail, go for Broke!

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

It is the Watermill in Wickham, Hampshire UK.

The name will provide the other evidence - the Chesapeake Mill

Within its structure are beams from US frigate Chesapeake, captured in 1813

Taken out of servce and broken in Portsmouth a half dozen miles away.

Many of the timbers were bought by the miller.

It's now a very quaint Antique market which I visit every now and then

Not sure I will get another clue posted so please feel free to take my turn.

USS/HMS Chesapeake is correct.  There are some interesting pictures posted here of the interior, many of the floorboards are from the deck of the ship, and many timbers bear the marks of their original purpose.  Interestingly, the US considered the USS Chesapeake to be the runt of the litter of the original 6 frigates produced, but I wonder how much of that was historical propaganda after the loss of the ship.  The Chespeake was captured by HMS Shannon (Leda class frigate, sister to HMS Trincomalee in Hartlepool) after a brief 15min dual, .

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/the-fate-of-uss-chesapeake.htm/2

As many know, the captain of the Chesapeake, James Lawrence was killed in the action after uttering the famous "don't give up the ship" order.  Captain Broke of the Shannon was severely injured and never commanded at sea again,although he did support improvements in Royal Navy gunnery schools.  Probably the luckiest person in the whole affair was First Lieutenant Provo Wallis, after a rather mundane and non-distinguished career to that point, he was promoted Commander as was usual at the time after such an engagement and ultimately died at the age of 100 as Admiral of the Fleet - still on the active duty list after having refused suggested retirement  by the Admiralty in his 90s.  He was the last survivor of the Napoleonic war era.

Pompey 2, you had the winning guess, so the next ship is yours to post.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished: