Name the Ship Game

RMS Olympic

You might be right Jan,that's why she isn't on their current ship list,but she is on page 129 on this thread :D  :D I can't decide whether the bridge wings have still to be fitted after the launching :huh:

Kind Regards Nigel

Edited by NMBROOK

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Well done Jan.. Tis the same ship from my earlier post Nigel, bit cheeky of me :)    it's only a couple of pages ago Jan if you wish to take a look (that was her demise and this was her launch)

that's what I meant when I said ye were 'much closer than you think' :) just a few pages in fact... ooooh nasty!

Ok Jan you are up next

Eamonn

Nigel the bridge wings are part of the accommodation block and always looked odd to me too! kinda 'armless' looking.

Edited by egkb

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Didn't realize that. I just went for the shiplist of Smit, and was very much helped by the reference to Arklow

Here's the next one. Back to the navy-stuff

(please forgive me my rather clumsy editing of her stern, and flipping the pic for the sake of cheating google pics....)

post-176-0-31778900-1383767835.jpg

Edited by amateur

Hi Nigel, hmmm the Van Speijk Class seems to have a slope from main deck to fore deck, mush as the Leander Class does and the Kortenaer class has a flush deck whereas Jans picky seems to show a break/step from main up to fore decks amidships.. what do you think?

incidentally, put 'D811 HNLMS Gelderland' into your search engine, seems kinda rightish, but there are subtle differences particularly forward of the aft gun.

E

Later Edit

Hold on.. I might be onto something, the Friesland-class destroyer succeeded the Holland Class and looks right :) more snooping required!

Edited by egkb

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

I have a sneaky suspicion the photo may be a little old comparing the weapons and radar systems to the pics we are seeing.Don't be surprised if she has been refitted.Some leander class were supplied to the Dutch navy,I am going to check that out.

Kind Regards Nigel

Was just looking at her a few mins ago then continued down the list of Frieslanders, I'll try the Class name vessel herself then HNMLS Friesland? :)

reckon we'll get there eventually!

E

Nigel I may have found her.. I typed the Friesland Class in in Dutch well at least I think it is Dutch, sorry Jan :) (friesland klasse) and found the picture!!   HNLMS Overijessel... The number on the stern gives this vessel!

Eamonn

Edited by egkb

You have got it then buddy :) Have to wait for Jan to clarify,got a feeling he's gone to bed as they are a bit in front time wise.You could spend the time find a good one to post next,no pedalos,canoes or inflatables  though :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Kind Regards Nigel

Or RNLI Lifeboats for that matter Nigel (the thought crossed my mind, but only for a second or two) might just get my neighbours 2 year old to draw a boat from a photo.. :) easy peasy eh

Until tomorrow then.

Eamonn

Nigel I just popped over to your SotS build.. only had a quick look at some of the 20 pages! that is EXCEPTIONAL work you are doing there..

I too was in Greenwich within the last couple of years and agree re the unfavourable changes (was there about 20 years ago for 2 visits and found it to be an entirely different beast than it is now) have never ventured to Portsmouth though it is pencilled in for a future visit!

Eamonn

btw have you ever gotten to the maritime museum in Penzance ? it was done out like an old wooden warship.. clever stuff (hope it hasn't changed since my visit over 10 years ago)

E

Thank you very much Eamonn :) Greenwich was a big disappointment for me after seeing all the articles in the past about it.I was in Cornwall a few years back but only passed through Penzance briefly.Portsmouth was great,hoping to go again.One place worth a look if you are into all things history,not just ships,is the Orkney islands.Lots of things to see,of course the old naval base at Lynness but the most moving thing of all was the green buoy marking the Royal Oak,the oil is still visible seeping out of the wreck,a bit like USS Arizona.Lots of wartime lookout and gun emplacements remain,also the 'churchill barriers'sunken coasters to prevent U boats entering Scapa Flow,unfortunately it didn't stop Gunther Prien in U47.At low tide some of these wrecks are visible above water.

Kind Regards Nigel

Ok guys here we go again..

I only blurred the name this time, which is a small help (but help non-the-less 'cos I'm nice like that :) )

Have fun

Eamonn

post-5925-0-94863100-1383819137_thumb.jpg

That's the fellow Nigel.. I tried to make the photo look old, and so as to make it less challenging merely blurred the name, that way you could see it was a 'two' part name..

Over to you Nigel :)

Eamonn

Jan are you 'copy & pasting or dropping' the photo into Google Images :)  I do it the hard way :) :) (else I didn't blur enough, darn!!)

E

Edited by egkb

Nigel if you copy a photo, open up Google Search By Image (type Search by Image into Google) and then Paste it into the search box you get your answer (sometimes), some members  reverse images for that reason to fool the system (I thought I'd done enough to fool it by making the image sepia and removing a part of the background, but not enough)

You'll notice that Jan didn't give the answer!   even though I think he had it 3 hours before you :) which was sporting of him as you were doing it the hard way :) I did the same thing myself a few weeks ago with a very tough Photo, but I excluded myself from the 'game' for that reason.

Try it on the Empire State photo above! it really works (you already got the answer so it is perfectly fair) :)

Eamonn

Google gives you the choice between iuploading the pic itself into search, or just the url of the picture you want to use.

copy-past the url of the pic as uploaded here was enough for this one.

The strange thing is that sometimes google still recognizes a heavily edited picture, and sometimes a very small change is enough to foll the program.

I still don't know what the determining factor is....

Jan

Totally agree Jan.. I put Empire State in myself to check last night and it 'passed', whereas I put it in again (after your comment) and up she pops!   'Beats me' what happened there :)  I must have screwed up somewhere along the line :) :)

Have to say that this Name the Ship is good fun, though it doesn't half soak up the time!! :)

Bye for now.

Eamonn

Edit.. Jan next time I'll put a gun turret or two onto my merchant ship to fool Google....

Edited by egkb