Name the Ship Game

RMS Olympic

I think if we stopped people from using google,then a lot of the posts would exceed the 2 week timelimit before posting a new image.I think the key to posting is not using google to find your chosen ship.I think that you need a very exhaustive reference library at home to be able to answer these without google or wikipedia.Anyway it is a scottish steamer,but which one?

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Spyglass,

Danny just did some retouching to mask it.  Maybe kill the clouds, flags, ship name, and sometimes background.  Very effective.  It doesn't take much to fake out Google... And a bit of text to the image and Google looses it.  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

My first reaction was the Caledonian Canal, wild guess, and probably my last....PS MERCURY.  I think there does need to be at least some clue in the picture, of course depends on how mean one is feeling :)

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

What is the record for number of ships guessed in a day...last 24hrs must have been close to that

Anyway, lets bring in some controversy.  Looking for the name of the dismasted ship on the left (it has been officially misidentified)....and for a bonus the identity of the ship on the right.

post-891-0-42614100-1383691196_thumb.jpg

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Ok then.the demasted ship is Bucentaure.The ship to the right is HMS Sandwich.The 'twist' as I understand it,is that the painter Auguste Mayer painted this depiction of the battle of Trafalger did not realise that HMS Sandwich did not take part in the battle. Incidentaly the ship to the left is HMS Temeraire.How many is that today? :D  :D 

Kind Regards Nigel 

Yup, you have it Nigel, I was trying a quick googly but couldn't pull it off!  You correctly identify the dismasted ship as the French Bucentaure, identifiable by her figurehead.  She had been incorrectly identified as the Redoutable for many years.  Temeraire is also correct.

I'd like to hold out for the ship on the right, but its really not fair.  At the time of Trafalgar the Sandwich was a sheer hulk.  The picture is apparently quite accurate and survivors on both sides provided insight.  Nelson had 7 three deckers who could be candidates.  Victory and Temeraire are out, narrowing it down to five: Neptune, Britannia, Royal Sovereign, Dreadnought or Prince.  Extract below is from eye witness accounts:

"The Redoutable's bowsprit had touched several times the taffrail of the Bucentaure, so close was she. The Santísima Trinidad was almost lying to, just ahead of the Bucentaure. The Neptune was closed up near by to leeward. A collision (with the Victory as she came on) appeared inevitable. At that moment Villeneuve seized the eagle of his ship and displayed it to the sailors who surrounded him. 'My friends,' he called out, 'I am going to throw this on board the English ship. We will go and fetch it back or die!' ('Mes amis, je vais la jeter à bord du vaisseau anglais. Nous irons la reprendre ou mourir!') Our seamen responded to these noble words by their acclamations. 'Full of hope for the issue of a combat fought hand to hand, Villeneuve, before the smoke of battle blotted out the Bucentaure from the view of the fleet, made a last signal to his ships. 'Every ship,' he signalled, 'which is not in action is not at its post, and must take station to bring herself as speedily as possible under fire'."

My vote is for Neptune given here position in the line near Temeraire...confusingly, there was also a French Neptune at the battle as well.

Over to you again Nigel :D

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Hmmmm 4 masts.. what looks like a Tudor Rose was about to say Mary Rose when your clue came up :) jeez back to the drawing board

Eamonn

edit.. was actually in the middle of typing this when your post popped up, and I thought I was being soooo cunning spotting the really hard to notice odd flag or two!

Edited by egkb

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Henri Grace A Dieu.. don't know the 2nd name though, dragged that name up from the memory banks and took a few mins to get the right spelling.. even now I'm not so sure :)

Eamonn

Tis getting late.. and am confusing myself now :)  but is this ship also known as just Grace ADieu, or is Henry Grace Adieu a different ship (aka Great Harry) ?

Bed beckons.....

Edited by egkb

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

That is quite correct Eamonn congratulations.She was also referred to as the 'Great Harry'.Over to you and I am having a little break,this is becoming addictive :D  :D .

Kind Regards Nigel

P.S.I hope you find a right 'stinker' as I am sitting this one out ;)

Kind Regards Nigel

Ahhh don't sit it out, I've found a somewhat different to my usual 'wreck photos' photo! this is a launching for a change.. :)

I was going to go down to my local paddling pool and take a shot of a rowing boat or something, just to spice things up a bit :) naaa just kidding..

Try this for size

Eamonn

post-5925-0-38048500-1383704914_thumb.jpg

Am off to bed now guys so you'll have to wait a bit for my reply's.

Edited by egkb

Dutch Built..  but correct flag though :)

Eamonn

That might start to narrow things down a bit !

Have only just spotted your edit Jan.. correct re Grongingen.. but incorrect re nationality of flag (French didn't cross my mind when writing the first line above)

E

Edited by egkb

Nope, I didn't check the large pic. And thinking of a Dutch wharf (Ferus Smit is indeed neer Grongingen: unbelievable that seegoing ships are build over there....) I was inclined to see red white and blue. Never thought of green and orange :)

And for those not understanding what I mean: check where the A is pointing (and zoom in, to understand why this wharf launches sideways)

https://maps.google.nl/maps?q=ferus+smit+hoogezand&hl=nl&hq=ferus+smit&hnear=Hoogezand,+Hoogezand-Sappemeer,+Groningen&t=h&z=7

Jan

Edited by amateur

Thinking aloud:

Early eighties, late seventies, as the shipyard has no large roofed building facilities. Besides: the ship is without bulb.

I'm looking in Irish or Itallian shipowners, due to the flag in th eforemast. I'm more into Irish, due to the relaively light colours. (and the posten not being Italian :) )

Spot on so far Jan.. that should narrow things down considerably! :)

Keep the thought process going..

By The Way, the colour is only a primer/undercoat/rust protection take your pick.. suffice to say not her final colour  :)

Eamonn

Can't keep away can I :)  :) Going out on a bit of a limb here,the pedalo would have been easier Eamonn :D  :D I think we are looking at another Arklow shipping vessel and the shipyard is Barkmeijer Stroobos BV.The problem being they have built several vessels of this type for Arklow,and I can't find the pic.

Kind Regards Nigel

Jan, Nigel ye aren't too far away.. Jan is a little bit closer though I feel, bit more work to do to catch up Nigel !

Keep Hunting guys, the boat is out there even if the photo itself isn't. Ye are much closer than you think!!!

E