Name the Ship Game

RMS Olympic

My first post on MSW2.... :)

Only found this wonderful site recently, and have been ever since, busily making my way through each and every forum....

Found this thread last night, and must be honest, I skipped to the end, to see if I had a chance of naming the latest challenge.

Have just retired from a sea going career that lasted over 40 years, and managed to visit quite a few ports in my time, as such, I immediately recognised the bridge in the background of the photograph as the Clifton Suspension Bridge in Bristol.

After a bit of detective work and a fair amount of research, I feel I may have a name for the three masted Barque in the foreground.....(fingers crossed)

Name of the vessel is.......SS River Clyde (was renamed SS Valentine)

PS: Great to be aboard.. :)

Edited by Seahorse

SS Valentine is correct. Well done Seahorse and welcome to the forums.

Your turn.

Thanks David....I reckon it will probably my first, and last, correct answer.... :D

I do have quite an extensive collection of ship pictures that I have accumulated over the years. However, this one always manages to scare the daylights out of me each and every time I look at it.

post-7813-0-25368300-1383113171_thumb.jpg

Pics were taken by a Police Officer on the beach. As far as I am aware,  very few people have had access to them.

Nothing unusual about the ship itself, apart from the fact that on the day the pics were taken, she came perilously close to going ashore. At one stage the stern of the ship was actually on the edge of the breakers seen in the first pic. Comparing the ship to a cat....she used up eight of her nine lives that day.

In the second picture (the one with the helicopter), if you look at the bottom right hand corner you can just make out the mast of the tug shown in the third pic.

Other events on the day in question have overshadowed how dangerously close this was to being a disaster.

Check the Amazing Photo string :piratetongueor4:

Ed

Yes, you are correct, that is indeed the Pasha Bulker. However, that picture is meant more as a clue to the identity of the ship in question.

If you look closely at the tug in the foreground, it is the same tug shown in a previous pic...

CLUE 1: All pics were taken on the same day...

CLUE 2: Currently berthed in Huston Nov3 2013

CLUE 3: Ships name is "SEA Cxxxxxxxxx"

Edited by Seahorse

If I remember correctly, the 'Sea Confidence' had both anchors down and swung the wrong way as the wind strengthened, giving her a foul hawse, which is why she ended up so close to the beach.  Only those who have been to sea on deck will probably realise the feat of seamanship by the mate in being able to clear a foul hawse under those sea conditions - with the added fun of knowing that your ship was drifting ashore and wouldshortly be making a twin for the 'Pasha Bulker' if you don't get it done by yesterday at the latest.

John

To clear the chains, don't you need to break one and use a third cable to pass the bitter end around the other, then pull it back aboard and connect? Were it me in those conditions I probably would have unshackled both to be recovered later and steamed away from the beach.

jud

Jud,

Hang off one anchor, break the cable, get a line attached to the cable outside the hawse pipe, pass the end of the cable around the other until it's clear, heave the cable back into the pipe and re-connect the cable, heave up both anchors. (I think I've remembered it correctly).

John

Thanks John.

Only time I remember hanging off of two anchors because of weather was on a Heavy Cruiser in Hong Kong during a Typhoon that hit dead center on the area. The British ordered all ship to sea before it hit but we were carrying an Admiral who chose to stay. Both anchors out with lots of chain , underway watch set, steam up and slow turns on the screws kept us in place. Think it was 1961 or 62 when that happened.

jud

Nice detective work "egkb"..I now hand the baton onto you..Your turn!!..

In relation to the MV Sea Confidence, the situation could have been averted, if notice had been taken of the NPC recommendations issued the previous night, advising of strong winds and deteriorating conditions along the East coast of NSW.

Even though the vessel was perilously close to going ashore, offers of assistance were refused. Eventually a directive (Government) was given for the vessel to accept a tow. This resulted in a local Svitzer tug being dispatched at short notice to assist. Despite diabolical conditions the harbour tug Watagan attempted to attach a towline without success,  ultimately having to return to port with two badly injured crew members. Fortunately, around this time there was a marked lull in the weather conditions that allowed the Sea Confidence to claw its way off the beach and ultimately clear he anchors and head to the safety of deep water.

Edited by Seahorse

Thanks Seahorse, I never had to clear fouled anchors but did have to stop my ship using an anchor, we had a total power outage whilst running up the Scheldt to Antwerp.. that made life very interesting very quickly!!

Will post a 'Name the Ship' picture within the next hour or two.

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Hi All,

This incident happened 21 years ago (in fact 21 years exactly in 27 days!)

The only alteration made is to remove the name..

Incident happened approx. 500 miles SSE of my location, and whilst you are looking at my location (over on the left there below the furry dude on the phone) you are also looking at a major clue to part of the ships name :)

Those of you around coastal Europe may be familiar with the distinctive green colour of these vessels..

incidentally no lives were lost in this incident.

Have Fun

Eamonn

post-5925-0-57980000-1383481358_thumb.jpg

Edited by egkb

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄