Flying Fish by Wawona59 - Model Shipways - 1:96

Thank you for your kind words George.  You are right, the only person we have to please is ourselves.  I'm going to forget about the Golden Hiinde (probably give it to someone else who has an interest in this era) and concentrate on subjects that interest me; clippers, schooners like the Wawona and subjects with a connection the Pacific Northwest where I live.

Now, I need to get back on the mend so I can get on deck again.  Thank you for checking in.

Wawona 59

John

Next Project::  New Bedford Whaleboat - Model Shipways

Wish list for "Seattle Connection" builds:  1/96 Lumber Schooner Wawona, 1/96 Down Easter St. Paul, 1/32 Hydroplane Slo-Mo-Shun IV  

Completed Builds: Midwest - Chesapeake Bay Flattie (highly modified); Revell - 1/96 Constitution, 1/96 Thermopylae, 1/96 Cutty Sark, 1/570 Titanic; Dragon - 1/700 USS Arizona; Model Shipways - NY Pilot Boat Phantom, Aurora - Whaling Ship Wanderer, Maquette - Boeing 307 Stratoliner

On 1/14/2024 at 4:50 AM, Wawona59 said:

concentrate on subjects that interest me; clippers, schooners like the Wawona and subjects with a connection the Pacific Northwest where I live.

I'm glad you are on the mend.

Clippers, as you may know are my favorite design...and the Glory of the Seas is the best example of a clipper that has great connection to the PNW.  I've even been to her grave and collected relics.

Re-reading your log....I wish to reiterate, the corrections that Clipperfan has suggested to het cutwater and stem.

I'll be watching.

Rob

Edited by rwiederrich

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Hello John,

Hope you make it up back to speed soon.

Regarding shipbuilding.  I’ve put projects on hold, one for years before returning - see the Baltimore Clipper link in my signature.

It makes sense to build skills to take on the Flying Fish, as you know, an incredibly complex ship.  If you have a simpler ship in your “pile” it makes sense to work on it to build skills, complete it, and satisfy your wife.  Shipbuilding requires a level of skill at every step of the process: hull, deck, masts, rigging, case; this can only be achieved by going completely through the process.  Best to go through this with a simpler ship before the FF.

For many years I was an 80% builder, made it that far in the project and started something else.  Now, I try to finish before starting another project, but still end up with several projects going on at the same time.

At any rate, no right or wrong here, good luck with it, and I’m always around to answer a question.

-Rich

Edited by ERS Rich

John,

It's truly disturbing to read about your health challenges. I can seriously sympathize, experiencing somewhat similar setbacks myself. Years ago, I used to shovel snow all day long, even helping out my neighbors. That changed recently. Due to an old back injury in the 80s I now have a weak back. Strength is still there but I can no longer shovel since it results in severe back pain so restrictive that initially I can't stand up straight. Challenges of old mistakes....

As for taking on simpler projects to fine hone your skills, I agree completely with other far more skilled modelers on these forums. Finishing the Golden Hind sounds like a worthwile objective as does the modified Phantom build. Not only will you please The Admiral who will approve of your completing those works, it will doubtless improve your self-confidence too. Whatever direction you choose, I'm sure you'll find plenty of support from your friends who all wish you well. On a side note, some symptoms you briefly mention are sometimes associated with Lime Disease. It's a tricky malady to diagnose but I've talked to more than one person who've tested positive and have described losing ability to walk as a result. Once proper meds have done their job, they report full recoveries.

• 1 month later...

Hello Clipperfan,

Thank you for your post and your kind words.  I've had multiple blood tests and have more to come.  I'm starting to feel better but my Dr. is changing my meds to find the right balance.  (I'm looking for the right balance as well so I can walk easier.  LOL) I'll ask my doctor about Lime Disease but there hasn't been any mention of it based on my past blood tests. 

I've been following MSW as a lurker and am looking forward to getting back to modeling.  I really enjoyed our correspondence on the Flying Fish build logs and hope to do so again.

Talk to you soon.

Wawona 59

John

Next Project::  New Bedford Whaleboat - Model Shipways

Wish list for "Seattle Connection" builds:  1/96 Lumber Schooner Wawona, 1/96 Down Easter St. Paul, 1/32 Hydroplane Slo-Mo-Shun IV  

Completed Builds: Midwest - Chesapeake Bay Flattie (highly modified); Revell - 1/96 Constitution, 1/96 Thermopylae, 1/96 Cutty Sark, 1/570 Titanic; Dragon - 1/700 USS Arizona; Model Shipways - NY Pilot Boat Phantom, Aurora - Whaling Ship Wanderer, Maquette - Boeing 307 Stratoliner