Grand Banks Dory by CommodoreErie - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:24

Finished up the oars. None of them really came out the same, but that's fine. Better they all be slightly different than three be the same and one be off. But with this, I am calling this build done. Thanks for coming with me on this journey, and for your advice and encouragement along the way. Next model on my docket is the Model Expo Norwegian Sailing Pram. 

No description available.

In Shipyard:

1:12 Norwegian Sailing Pram

Completed Builds:

1:24 Lowel Grand Banks Dory

Congratulations on finishing your build and it looks mighty fine!

Jonathan

Current Build: Zulu - Lady Isabella

Completed Builds: Lowell GB Dory, Norwegian Pram, Lowell GB Dory Redux, Bounty Launch, Nisha, Lady Eleanor - Fifie
On the Shelf: Ranger, Erycina, HMS Alert, etc, etc.
Hibernating: Gunboat Philadelphia, Bluenose
In a Time Vault Due to Open in 2025: Syren

On 1/1/2023 at 10:46 AM, MrPross said:

Impressive build, any tips for someone about to tackle this same project?

A couple:

1) Don't let perfect be the enemy of good. I've wasted so much time stressing tiny details that didn't look exactly right. If it looks close enough, it's good enough. 
2) When beveling or shaping, I've found that sanding is better than using a hobby knife. It'll take longer, to be sure, but you have far more control over it. 

3) When you get to painting, if you're using Model Expo acrylic, it'll be tacky for a while. It'll dry out eventually, but that's just a heads up. 
4) Read and re-read each section before starting a new part of the build

5) Take it slow, and remember that a lot of mistakes are fixable or able to be hidden. 

Good luck on your build!

In Shipyard:

1:12 Norwegian Sailing Pram

Completed Builds:

1:24 Lowel Grand Banks Dory

23 hours ago, CommodoreErie said:

A couple:

1) Don't let perfect be the enemy of good. I've wasted so much time stressing tiny details that didn't look exactly right. If it looks close enough, it's good enough. 
2) When beveling or shaping, I've found that sanding is better than using a hobby knife. It'll take longer, to be sure, but you have far more control over it. 

3) When you get to painting, if you're using Model Expo acrylic, it'll be tacky for a while. It'll dry out eventually, but that's just a heads up. 
4) Read and re-read each section before starting a new part of the build

5) Take it slow, and remember that a lot of mistakes are fixable or able to be hidden. 

Good luck on your build!

Well said.

Enjoy the journey and don't sweat the small stuff.

Tom E