NRG Half Hull Planking Project by acaron41120 - 1:24 Scale

While scouting the different build logs I came across a NRG Half Hull Planking Project by T Livine and decided that I should get this and learn the proper technique. After receiving this tutorial kit I did my usual kit inventory and all was well. The bulkheads are thicker than what is normally found in the kit and that in itself makes the fairing (shaping) of the hull easier AND it gives more surface for the planks to adhere to the bulkheads. So without further ado, I begin. Pictures will be aded at the end of this segment.

Following the instructions I attached the the plan to the building board (1/4 inch foam board) purchase from our local craft store. Then I carefully removed the parts for the beginning of the build. The stem post, keel, keelson, stern post etc. and dry fit them all on the plan. The slots in the keelson for the frames were cut a little narrow which allowed for a better fit after some slight sanding. Then came the first of my worries...the rabbet. Kits usually don't have nor do they mention a thing about cutting the rabbet. I thought of trying it on my Mayflower build but not knowing enough I refrained from trying its until I learned the correct way. This kit was great at teaching the proper way to cut the rabbet. I wish I had known about this kits for my other builds. After reading and re-reading the method in the tutorial, I carefully marked the rabbet and used a small file to carve it out. I think I did a fairly good job of it.

I then removed the frames from the supplied sheets and sanded off the char so the frames could be glued. Did you know that glue doesn't hold well on the areas with char from the laser cuts? I didn't! Starting with the first three frames, I had to file just a little off of one of the slots in the keelson for the frame. It took me three days to get all the frames mounted to the keelson and now I have to add the supplied spacers between frames for stability and strength. Next thing will be to mark the bearding line and remove the deadwood below and aft of it.

Well stay tuned. I'll add the missing photos when I figure out why they won't post here. Until next post....build on!

727961AA-A805-427C-81A8-4DAA1F76B8E9_1_105_c.jpeg.9ae9f3587977e68a7c93d36be70929a4.jpeg

Dry fitting the keel, keelson and stem post.

738F82DB-0295-4E3F-8A54-97CF4241E616_1_105_c.jpeg.2850bedb7d01547866408b3aa70459a6.jpeg

Marking the Rabbet on the Keel and Keelson

5FF0C730-4DD1-418D-8440-EB74686CCC34_1_105_c.jpeg.1ff0b90c701c90dca1efefde8bc61953.jpeg

4FB8CBD3-5846-4C1C-9DA1-0B07624139BE_1_105_c.jpeg.c043a92bef55df767058f2a819c7c80a.jpeg

After twisting my knee working outside, I finally got back to the planking tutorial. I tackled the bearding Lind, deadwood nd most of the remaining frames. I still have a few remaining frames and the transom to take care of before I start fairing the frames. This time I won't have the false deck to help me get the shape correct but this IS a tutorial right! These next photos are where I am in the build now. Somehow the last photo wants to upload upside down. 

IMG_0943.thumb.jpeg.3bbe41d742f7635bccc652224e34bff4.jpegIMG_0945.thumb.jpeg.627a18d3e13a9f82188ec1db33a8af11.jpeg

Allen

Current Builds: Mayflower - 1:60; Golden Hind - 1:50

Past Builds: Marie Jeanne, Bluenose, Bluenose II, Oseberg, Roar Ege,

Waiting to Build: Swift

I've not seen this kit before but it looks very interesting and I like the way the frames are nice and chunky.  That will give you plenty to go at when you do start fairing them.  Good luck with your build and I'll be following along too.

• 2 weeks later...

Allen,

looks like an interesting project. You're off to a good start.

I've had similar issues with picture orientation. I stopped using my phone's camera and the problem disappeared. The ancient 8 mega pixel Cannon I use also has the advantage of a macro function.

Regards,

Grant.

I'll have to bring out my Nikon and use that for posting photos. I like it better anyway. Thanks for that info.

Allen

Current Builds: Mayflower - 1:60; Golden Hind - 1:50

Past Builds: Marie Jeanne, Bluenose, Bluenose II, Oseberg, Roar Ege,

Waiting to Build: Swift