Combined topsail lifts and topgallant sheets blocks between 1733 and 1790

DaveBaxt

The above has been stated by Lees 'The masting and rigging of the ships of war' page 84. It also goes on to say that if the model is not to carry sails then it is best to secure the lifts to the clue line block and topgallant yard. So far so good however the book then goes on to say thus- enabling the topgallant yard to be held down. I am not sure what this means and therefore in this situation do we still require lifts on the topgallant yards?

I have no problem with carrying out the above on my model of the Endeavour,however I am yet to see a model with the topsail rigging on the fore and main topsail yards but would also like to carry as much rigging as feasably possible and as accurately as possible and follow Lees book as recommended by a good few modallers on here.I am just trying to ensure that my way of thinking is correct.

Also as I understand it the above would not be appropriate for the topsail Mizzen as there is no topgallant yard on the Mizzen on my particular model (The Endeavour1961) and therefore would have normal lifts,sheets and clues.

Thank you for your help and patience,best regards Dave

Edited by DaveBaxt

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

I THINK he is referring to the fact that the topgallant yard on a model is not heavy enough to stay down and in position easily where as on a ship, it is. 

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

1 hour ago, allanyed said:

I THINK he is referring to the fact that the topgallant yard on a model is not heavy enough to stay down and in position easily where as on a ship, it is. 

Allan

Thank you Allan for once again helping me out and you quick response.and which could explain things somewhat. Unfortunately Lees does not give a dawing on how this is set up but I have found a drawing in RC Andersons book- 'The Rigging of ships in the days of the spritsail topmast 1600 - 1720.' page 188 fig no 244 whereby the lifts are attached to the  topgallant sheets and clue. Although this is slightly different than lees explanation I think? ,for me it is for me easier to understand. So will probably adopt this method for my model.

Edited by DaveBaxt

The lightness of a model's yards is a factor here. I pin the yards to the masts to overcome this. A small length of hard, blackened brass wire is almost invisible, as the yard is held slightly away from the mast it is raised on.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

35 minutes ago, druxey said:

The lightness of a model's yards is a factor here. I pin the yards to the masts to overcome this. A small length of hard, blackened brass wire is almost invisible, as the yard is held slightly away from the mast it is raised on. Cheers Druxey I have pinned the yards to the masts on my last ( and first square rigged) ship but did not think of blackening them as I think the yards may have been touching the masts and did not require to be held away when not moving some something I will consider this ti

39 minutes ago, druxey said:

The lightness of a model's yards is a factor here. I pin the yards to the masts to overcome this. A small length of hard, blackened brass wire is almost invisible, as the yard is held slightly away from the mast it is raised on.

I pinned the yards to the masts on my last model but did not think to have blackened the brass as I was unawhare that you needed to leave a gap whilst the yards are stationary and the parrals are tight up but will ensure this is corrected on this model. Thanks for your input as it is grately appreciated.Best regards Dave