Whaleboat by Jorge Hedges - Disarmodel - 1:40 scale

Some additional progress…. Some more early AM work… including additional details/parts not included in the kit.  

Added the steering oar rest (Thrum Mat?), and the loggerhead.  Loggerhead prepared with my Proxxon lathe… awesome tool, by the way.  Have used it to turn details for my 1/35 military miniatures.

Some progress pics follows…as always, critique/suggestions welcome.5B63230E-E100-4361-9110-03F6C4355C3A.jpeg.787e93775c7cac1ea41babb6eb41758a.jpeg

6B9235B6-CD8A-4484-9576-668A15D8C4E9.jpeg

083A4B51-E3E4-45FA-97A8-F1E9E4092BFE.jpeg

96DDEC90-D818-4332-921A-23E087A8727F.jpeg

52FBD2CA-447D-4DBA-B3CE-5A1601EBF04F.jpeg

62FB6FAC-8984-405D-9AAD-28157D998ECD.jpeg

984B2A61-0D0C-4F9C-89C5-DF9900AF0E2A.jpeg

506DA990-D495-49E6-87BB-9F36D7951B4E.jpeg

CE18C2B4-A7DC-488A-A21B-88720CAC1FBC.jpeg

1 hour ago, Wintergreen said:

@Jorge Hedges if you want inspiration for details on your whale boat you can check out this guy that I found over on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/@shipmodelguy/videos 

I did not watch all episodes, but he seems to take attention to details.

Apart from all the whale boats here on MSW of course 🙂 

Yes, seen his channel.  Beautiful work!  Hope I can get to that level someday, as well as others here.  

That is the beautiful this about the internet… observe and learn form the great builders out there that take some of their time to share their work.

Slowly, but surely… a couple of buckets done, as well a trigger and trigger guard done.

complicated week, thus why the slowdown… but slowly getting there…. Going to start working on some other wood details based on The Whaleboat book by Ansel.  Good stuff in there for the detailing of this kit.

As always, critique, suggestions and comments welcome!

jorge

1E9EA7D9-E361-468C-8168-F545CDD59A9F.jpeg

BBF91637-6BC6-440D-829B-154DB14E241A.jpeg

4EE63AAA-2547-407D-8F42-492F643BB334.jpeg

Edited by Jorge Hedges

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All!

Well, started to paint some of the accessories - no pics yet - with acrylics.  I can tell you that the color selected for the rope tubs, lantern case, etc... looks very nice, and will probably look even better with some light weathering, but still on the fence there...  let's see fires how everything comes together.

Harpoons also painted and look nice as well... will try to start on the harpoon ropes as well this weekend.

Now, on a different story... scored so big this weekend. A lady that I know had told me some time ago that her deceased husband was an avid ship modeler, and had a lot of stuff to get rid of.  I paid for some of the nice tools she had available, and sorted and listed selling prices for her to sell the others, as she is moving to the US.    Lo and behold, I get a call yesterday to drive over a pick up what she had left.  To my surprise, she gifted me with 2 complete/sealed kits Mayflower and Constitution from Model Shipways), a building slip, and a number of tools (pics below)... I asked if she was sure, as she could move them to the US and sell them easier over, but she insisted, as she would be discarding them if not rid of them by the end of month.  All in all, it always pays to assist someone when help is required.

It seems that at the time, her spouse was building a Victory kit as well, but the spare wood strips and some deck hardware/cannons is basically all left of it, as well as stern decorations... maybe build a stern window/crest display with them for framing?  Who knows what I can come up with...

Pics of the gifted items follows:

gift1.jpg

gift2.jpg

gift3.jpg

gift4.jpg

gift5.jpg

gift6.jpg

Edited by Jorge Hedges

Hello All!

In a small rut right now...

Does anyone have a recommendation on how to build multiple bench knees from a single piece of square stock?

I'd like to see how it can be done, kinda milled-type work, as I have a Dremel with the base and milling table, as well as a dremer router-type application base, to see what would be the best approach.

Thanks!

Jorge

• 2 weeks later...

Now, to make this interesting... I have attached pics of bench knees...  1st and second pics are the kit's contents; the other pics are what I am thinking of scratchbuilding...  please let me know your opinions, as this is still a WIP, and would love your observations/recommendations.  Pretty sure I have to thin out the scratchbuilt ones...

Thanks!

BENCH KNEES 4.jpg

BENCH KNEES1.jpg

BENCH KNEES 3.jpg

BENCH KNEES 2.jpg

The whaleboat on display at the Nantucket Whaling Museum has three different kinds of knees: short double (fore and aft of the thwart) and two different centered long singles, one wedged between wood strips and another without. The oarsman sat upon the side where the knee was wedged between the wood strips and was no doubt much more comfortable than to try and sit on an exposed knee.

thwarts NHA whaleboat.jpeg

On the pictures Janelle provided you can also see the relative thickness of the knees.

The kit provided are definitely too thick.

Nice work on the harpoon 🙂 

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

16 hours ago, Janelle said:

Better view of knee arrangement, this one from Lowell's Boat Shop, Amesbury, Massachusetts; constructed for the Charles W. Morgan whaler in Mystic Seaport, Connecticut using original plans from the Beetle Boat Shop

whaleboat amesbury.jpg

Those are damn nice pics!!!  Now I have a very good idea of what to do.  Thanks!!!  :)