augie

USF Confederacy by Augie & Moonbug - Model Shipways - 1:64 - Finished

Bug, what a great tribute to a great Model Shipwright.  You did an amazing job.  Now that it is finished I think Augie can finally hang his Moose on the wall.  Those that were part of that banter a few years ago will know what I mean here.  That was quite an honorable feat that you have accomplished here.   We've lost two of our friends here with Augie and George Lackie both before their time.  It was an honor to have known them both and how they contributed to this Forum and the world.  Give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done and we'll bend an elbow to Augie and you tonight.  God Bless you for all you did.  Big Smile Augie - Big Smile,

John

This has been such an inspiring project to follow, both for its backstory and the quality of its craftsmanship. I didn't know Augie, I'm too new on this forum, but after following this project I will always hold a memory of someone so respected by his peers that this project became a reality. And I have immense respect for a builder who takes on such a responsibility, and does such a memorable job. Thank you for this.

My thanks to you as well Moonbug....Augie was most welcoming when I first joined MSW so it great to see his Confed finished so beautifully.

I am also sure, as Dave just said, that he is smiling down from on high somewhere.

Rest in peace Augie.

Cheers,

Nigel.

Moonbug

How wonderful of you to finish Augie's Confederacy. You did a first rate job. I am working on my own Confederacy and have a question. What finish did you or Augie use on the deck? I love the warm color. Is from the finish, a wood upgrade or both. Any help greatly appreciated.

Best

Jaxboat

Hi Jax!  Thanks for the comment.

The warmer wood on the deck is Swiss Pear.  Augie substituted some of the original wood with the swiss, and a couple of smaller deck fittings with Boxwood.  When I did a little bit of refinishing early on after taking over the build, I re-sanded much of the deck, then really rubbed in a couple of coats of Tung oil.

oil.JPG.bfa9d6211b9502353463b819f44e897c.JPG

Then, I used a little bit more Swiss Pear in a some smaller areas (particularly the ships boats) to try and tie some of it in artistically.

Thanks. Love Swiss pear but the decks already installed unfortunately. Did the Tung oil add additional color and perhaps a little sheen or gloss?

Short story: I was a Chemical sales trainee for Rohm and Haas Company in Phila. R&H created many of the acrylic emulsions that made water borne coatings possible. Part of my job was to answer technical questions from current or potential customers. We had a very experienced Customer service and formulation Lab Chemist that I was supposed to copy with my letter responses (no internet in those days). The guy was brilliant and also had a penchant for really bad puns. One day, I got a letter from a client who was having lapping problems with his acrylic house paint based on our emulsions. I don't know what made me do it, but I ginned up a dummy letter to the client that I only sent to my immediate superior and the bad pun chemist. The letter told the customer to solve his lapping issues by adding a  little "tongue oil". I actually called the client with the real solution to the problem. My boss thought the letter was hilarious. Then he received a call from the irate punster chemist saying tongue oil would worsen the problem not solve it. My boss almost had a fit from laughing which only incensed the punster more. Finally my boss told the guy to read the tongue oil part carefully. Fortunately when he realized my joke, he loved it and told the story for years