Triton by Jerzy

Well after good 10 years I am cutting some wood again, and this time not for house building purposes.

Whan I moved in here around 5 years ago, there we had an old pear tree in the middle of tge garden, and it had to go

.... except that I kept it for muy future retirement ship modelling purposes. I am not retired yet, but fingers are itching... 

20221228_210022.jpg

I thought of HMS Triton already back then when I was with contact with Chuck and Russ and others, and plans have been waiting. Let's see what happens now.

1st test frame I cut out of pine scrap wood just for testing purposes. Immediately said, this wood will not be nice. too soft and too grainy. So time to prepare my patiently waiting pear tree.

20230102_144743.jpg

20230102_210520.jpg

I cut into 7 mm planks and then with thicknesser went down to 5mm... Sorry I am metric oriented.

Aseembled 2 frames and started to think.... about leaving one side open with visible frames as I saw by few other threads. 

I am not subject matter expert but I was wonderring about futtocks assembly. Many placed treenails ond sides of frames. But what about chock piesces?

Then treenails actually would be placed from inside of the frame.

20230107_185852.jpg

20230107_185742.jpg

20230107_190110-Edit.jpg

Cheers

Jerzy

Edited by Jerzy

Very nice Jerzy and it is so great to have you back building models.  Looking forward to following your progress.

Chuck

Yes for english ships like Triton treenails are on the outside.  Straight through but for a model its easier to fake it and put them in from outboard only if you are going to plank inboard and not see them anyway.

image.jpeg