Grand Banks Dory by BryanAC - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - 1" to 1'

Welcome to MSW, Bryan.  

I will be following this build.   

You will find a wealth of information on the website.  If you have any questions, want advice, or need help on something, do not hesitate to post in your log or as a separate question in one of the other sub-forums. 

I looked at your pictures.  You're off to a good start.  I look forward to watching your progress.  

You might want to consider putting the pictures within the build log.  For me, I sometimes lose track of what I have seen and not seen when the pics aren't in the log.  You just click and drag the image into the box while you type your log.  That makes it easy to follow your progress and any thoughts or comments you have as you work the project.  

There's a couple logs on Grand Banks Dories being built (from Blue Jacket and Model Shipways).  I am following a couple of those builds also.  I got the Model Shipways version recently and added it to my stash.  I looked through the instruction manual and it looks like a nice model.  Your build will add to the information on the web site on modeling this boat. 

Just our of curiosity, is this your first wooden model you've built? Or are you an 'old hand?"  Any particular reason for this build?  

Again, welcome aboard. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Chenoweth

Current Build: Maine Peapod; Midwest Models; 1/14 scale.

In the research department:

Nothing at this time.

Completed models (Links to galleries): 

Monitor and Merrimack; Metal Earth; 1:370 and 1:390 respectively.  (Link to Build Log.)

Shrimp Boat; Lindbergh; 1/60 scale (as commission for my brother - a tribute to a friend of his)

North Carolina Shad Boat; half hull lift; scratch built.  Scale: (I forgot).  Done at a class at the NC Maritime Museum.

Dinghy; Midwest Models; 1/12 scale

(Does LEGO Ship in a Bottle count?)

:sign:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,

The Mayflower-Amati-1:60

Current Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom, Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Thanks for the warm greetings. I'll post photos of the more significant milestones to the web site. I'm going to be a little more granular with photos on my phone album. It's been a long time since I've made a boat model, but I have been in BlueJacket's shop in Searsport several times over the past few years and decided I had to give one a try. I chose the dory to start small and because it reminds me of the boats I used to row in summer camp. I've got a "full size" Wood Duck kayak project from Chesapeake Light Craft underway as well, but it is paused for the moment until the weather comes back to a temperature friendly for curing epoxy.

Welcome and have fun, I enjoyed building the Dory

Current Projects:                                                                                          Completed Projects:

Phantom New York Pilot Boat - Model Shipways - 1:96                        Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Model Shipways - 1:24

18th Century Long Boat - Model Shipways - 1:48

Norwegian Sailing Pram - Model Shipways - 1:12

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

• 2 months later...

Hi all, I've had a pretty smooth experience building the frame, but the gunwale strips are proving a little difficult at the stem and transom. I've still got some pretty good spring strength in the strips and I've actually snapped the stem and had to re-glue it trying to try fit the parts together at the bow. Any tips and tricks for getting the bow and stern together? I think the stern will go together pretty easily, but I need to trim the strips to get a better fit and I might need to fill some gaps.

Also, is there a discussion about different glues elsewhere that you might point me to? I've been using wood glue just out of habit with other projects and because a fuss with things a bit before setting, but I could see CA glue being useful.

IMG_4085.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
Posted (edited)

Painted the interior with the True North Ghost Grey. It had become a little thick with age, so thinned it out. Used the grey primer as a base coat on the interior, but not on the exterior, where I used three light coats of enamel. I thought the grey primer might tint the buff paint. Was I wrong?

IMG_0166.thumb.jpeg.757dcfd0d6d4ead0332ae1724fc48661.jpeg

Edited by BryanAC