HM Cutter Cheerful 1806 by dodgeyhack - 1:48

Reading other logs... this may not be the slowest Cheerful construction, but it will probably come close.

This is my first timber ship model, and I know I'm stretching the limits attempting something like the Cheerful, but I've always been one to aim high.

How slow has progress been?

Plans and timber ordered: August 2021

Built an extra table for the workshop and ordered lots of tools: August to December 2021

Keel laid down: December 2021

First fairing: April 2022

Second fairing: February 2023

Two young kids, house, work, cycling 7-10 hours per week. There's not much left, but hopefully progress will be more consistent from now on, if not quick.

Look at all that lovely smelling timber, shipped from the US to Australia. Crazy shipping costs, but overall compared to the price of kits it's pretty reasonable, and the quality is fantastic.
I got some extra to give me some wiggle room on mistakes.

IMG_3089.JPEG.6775bde0ff4266320cfa94d595356769.JPEG

Keel laid - you'll notice I sketched the layout of the internal decks. Ideally I'll be including some internal structure below the skylight and hatch.
IMG_3266.JPEG.7410624b981f64b5a0f2091568a42b8c.JPEG

Second round of fairing complete. I was hoping to get it finished in this session, but I feel like a third round will be worthwhile. My main area of concern being the bow.

IMG_5214.thumb.JPEG.4bfe207cef49269592902f4d2143ed37.JPEGIMG_5216.thumb.JPEG.59743ab48aa079129397b0beac7f31ad.JPEG

I look forward to your feedback... don't hold back, I want a good result 😃

Hi dodgeyhack, your fairing looks very nice. You might want to do a little trimming and re-fairing where bulkheads 14 and 16 meet the bearding line. Good luck with your build!

Regards……..Paul 

Completed Builds   Glad Tidings Model Shipways. -   Nordland Boat. Billings Boats . -  HM Cutter Cheerful-1806  Syren Model Ship Company. 

Looking good so far.   Maybe a bit more fairing until all laser char is gone from the bulkheads.  That is usually the key and a big help.

Chuck

Thanks all, appreciate the comments and advice. Fred, it is a lovely spot to sit with a frothy beverage and do some sanding. The summer has been fantastic so far after two years of very wet summers when the pool barely got any use.

I have cleaned up around the bearding line and spent a third session fairing and I'm pretty happy with it now. I will refer to the plans and spend some time running batons and checking others photos to confirm, but I think the only area that could possibly use some further work is the very first bulkhead at the bow - I may want to sharpen the angle it makes coming out of the rabbet.... I plan to start framing the ports before deciding - pics to come.