Cutty sark mantua sergal 1.78 Rigging

Milo

Reference Noel C.L. Hackney's book Cutty Sark - Classic Ships and How to Model Them (#3) in the series  - which was originally meant for the 1:168 Airfix plastic model to be substantially enhanced to conform to the extant CS ... but takes a very skilled miniaturist to accomplish at such a small scale.  However, the same book can be used for larger scales successfully.  I'm studying it on and off and can relate the following for the mizzen yard lifts - rigged the same as the fore and main yard lifts (for the course - or main sail).

The masts all have a mast band accessible from the deck with belaying pins all around, and these correspond to attachment points on a ring of mast foot eyes  almost at deck level beneath the mast band with belaying pins.  Finding a picture of these items aids in understanding.  Belaying pins on the mast band of all masts for the port and starboard yard lifts are the ones located directly port and starboard.

A line for the yard lift on each side of the yard is attached near the end of the yard, then routed up to a 10" (at full scale) block attached to an eye on the lower mast cap, then down through the the top (mizzen top in this case) and attach the end of the line to a 9" double block roughly halfway down the mizzen mast.  Then, from the becket of a  9" double block hooked (or otherwise attached) to the proper mast foot eyebolt (port or starboard as applicable), make a double purchase between the two blocks (that is, from the top eye of the lower block up to the hanging double block, then back down to the lower block - 'first purchase' - back up to the upper block and down again to the lower block - second purchase).  End by taking the fall (free end of the line) from the lower block directly to the mast band pin and belay.

'Hope this helps.

Edited by Snug Harbor Johnny

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

I moveed this to the rigging section as that's a more appropriate place for it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

15 hours ago, mtaylor said:

I moveed this to the rigging section as that's a more appropriate place for it.

Thank you very much Snug Harbor Johnny you have explained what I need to do very well,  the fore and main Fife rails are visible but on my plans it doesn't show the belaying to the  mizzen mast band