Chesapeake Bay Bugeye by East Ender - Wye River Models - 1/4 scale

While I'm still working on my Grand Banks Dory by Bluejacket Shipcrafters and have seemingly caught the wooden model ship building "bug", I guess it was appropriate for me to stumble upon a brand new, complete in the box, Chesapeake Bay Bugeye kit by Wye River models in 1/4 scale at our fire department thrift store, and at the same time come across an old but working perfectly Craftsman scroll saw. Were the build God's trying to tell me something? So for $25.00 total for both, I went home with my two prizes of the day. Now, reading through the plans for the Bugeye, I think I can handle it, but my other side of my brain says "be wise, go slow" so I'm going to study and research the boat for awhile, especially since I have have not completed my first build (the Dory). The plans seem to be well written, the print is nice, with lots of cast parts, bag of mast loops and so forth. I've looked through this site and have not come across any builds of this particular model, but it could be here as I'm still learning to navigate MSW. So, I'm always grateful for any words of wisdom from those who have been there and done that when first starting out. I'm not sure if this would be an appropriate 2nd build or not for a novice. The rigging does not appear overly complicated. I will lay out the kit and post some photos to add to this subject matter once I get some room on the work bench after the Dory so I can begin a build log, which I why I posted here. Tim

Edited by East Ender
added content/spelling

Tim Lent

Wye River Models is a manufacturer we don't often see around here due to the modest size of their operation, but they do offer some unique designs, and we have seen a few build logs for them, which you can check out here.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

• 3 months later...

Some of their models are quite realistic. I’ve built one (drake tail) and plan to build others.  Check out MSW build logs before you buy and build a kit as some have a few issues, many of which are minor. 

I have the buy boat kit and started it but I’m either not going to finish it or will have to rework it.  It’s dimensions make the model look weird.  I also have the core sound sink netter kit and will modify it so the model looks more like actual boats. 

John Earl built a Chesapeake crab scraping boat based on Wye River’s plans and the resulting model looks very realistic.   His build is illustrated on his website.  http://modelboatyard.com/crab_scrape1.html

The proportions look off and it appears stubby.   Compare the picture on WRM’s website with John Earl’s model.  
https://www.wye-river-models.com/buy-boat.html

http://modelboatyard.com/buyboat.html

Yes, no two look alike as seen on this page of Ray Rodgers’ plans.  Still….
https://www.deltavillemuseum.com/store/Ray-Rodgers-Drawings-c123469324

Yes, I’ve noticed the same thing on Wye River models plans that some of the drawings don’t match up and I had to draw my own plan. I think it was John Or maybe someone else who does some of Wye River models said the same thing. I just order one of Ray Rodgers plans myself and looking forward to see what they look like.