Foredom model 340

Just bought a used Foredom rotary tool off of ebay.  Want to  find out more about it.  Tried a web search but nothing about a model 340.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

Foredom models have changed over the years. They once had a model 320, I believe, but their current model line uses another system of identifying models. The operation and maintenance of the motors and handpieces haven't changed much at all though. Their present owner's manual should be helpful to you. If you haven't got it already, it's available online at TX_Manual.pdf (foredom.net)

Now the budget fun begins:

How much wear has the flex shaft had?  Is adding lube enough or is a new one needed?

Speed control -  table or foot pedal - on/off  or rheostat  - 

Hand pieces - chuck and/or collet?    

Accessories -  right angle (bulky) - drill press - router - router table - vise held block (anchor) for a hand piece mount - even a hammer chisel hand piece and a belt sander

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Needs a new flex shaft.  On\off, no speed co control bug I plan to add a foot control.  Mounted on  cast iron blocks but can be removed and hung up.  Runs good and I got it cheap enough that I don't mind putting some more money into it. 

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

3 hours ago, grsjax said:

Needs a new flex shaft.  On\off, no speed co control bug I plan to add a foot control.  Mounted on  cast iron blocks but can be removed and hung up.  Runs good and I got it cheap enough that I don't mind putting some more money into it. 

Excellent! Stories like yours serve to encourage others to keep an eye out for bargains on the used tool market. It's often quite amazing what can be found. 

5 hours ago, grsjax said:

On\off, no speed co control

I do not think that I would care to control the speed by foot pressure on a floor switch.  I have a one dial bench switch.  The speed dial is also the On/Off.  If I find a power level that I like, I have to keep finding it.  That is easier than a continuously random foot pressure control and enduring fatigue or a cramp if it is a long job.   Foredom sells a bench control with two switches.  On/Off plus a speed dial in series, so that a favored speed can be retained.   It is no problem to add a foot controlled On/Off in line.   I use a momentary foot switch with my drill press - because I want the bit in place in the starter divit before it starts cutting. 

The bale will run you about $6.   I advise making up a big - all at once - order from Foredom.  Whoever they are using for shipping right now seems to have the goal of getting as rich as possible as quickly as possible.  If their level of shipping costs is the future, local brick and mortar businesses will have the possibility of a major comeback.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

• 4 weeks later...

Try contacting the Foredom company online or calling them.  They are an excellent company that will assist you with any questions. Contact information: 

Email
customerservice@blackstoneind.com
Phone
800-272-2885 or 203-792-8622
Monday through Friday
8:00 am –  5:00 pm (ET)
I have contacted them several times when ordering replacement parts. Very helpful staff and efficient company.  There website is excellent and contain a huge amount of information.  Try using the serial number off the label on your machine in the search box or use it as a reference when calling them. There tools last for decades but you want to make sure you order the proper insert for the flex line.  I wish you luck, I love my Foredom tool and look forward to using it when I  can.  I even purchased the Vanda-lays Acra mill plus to use with the tool to give it better options for control. Expensive but it allows the full use of the tool and they sell a clamp set yp that works with the Foredome # H.30 and H.44 handpieces.