Gorch Fock by Steve47 - OcCre - 1:95

Hi,this is not a build log but it shows my latest progress for this build which I started in November 2021. I took time off during the summer months as it was too hot to work on it here in Spain but for the past few months, have been giving it a few hours most days. I need to take a deep breath now before attempting what looks like a complex matter of assembling masts, sails and rigging. I'll post further pics when complete, which may be quite a way into the future!

IMG_20230310_151734.jpg

IMG_20230310_151819.jpg

IMG_20230310_151841.jpg

IMG_20230310_152513.jpg

IMG_20230310_152532.jpg

IMG_20230310_152900.jpg

Hi Steve. What a great looking model. You have really done it justice. As for the masting and rigging, be prepared. It's been my experience that this aspect of the model marks the half way point in the project. Working on my current model, it has taken a TON of prep work getting the masts, yards and gear ready before a single line is rigged. Patience is the key, but judging by your work so far, you've got that covered.

All the best going forward and I hope to see more of your work.

Cheers,

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You have an excellent model ... and what a coincidence that I should see your post today.  The Admiral wanted to revisit three antique shops we'd seen with friends a few years ago (an hours drive away), and she saw a three items to collect - then I spied a forlorn clipper model (approximately as big as a 1:96 Cutty Sark) in a back room with yellowed sails, sagging rigging and a dust laden deck (the estimated age is 50 - 70 years).  I wondered if someone had tried to do a Thermopylae in her final years as a barque with a white hull - yet there were small port holes going down the side, and a green rub rail and green bottom from the water line down.

Some 'air scoops' on deck were noticed and a small propeller ahead of a missing rudder, so I could not fathom it to be the Thermie.  And of course there would be repair/conservation work to do, so I passed on the mystery ship priced at $195.  Yet the clear photos in your postings appear to be a pretty close 'match' to what I saw today.

Mention was made to the Admiral about seeing a model that could be 'spruced up' (completely cleaned and re-rigged actually) and I may be able to get a green light on going back before too long on a rescue mission ... especially since some major projects have been cleared from the duty roster so far this summer.  I believe the hull and much of the deck furnishings are sound, with careful cleaning being the main need - plus a few loosened items secured, and the railing need re-doing (and the broken bowsprit fixed).  The discolored sails may be remedied by an Admiralty trick to remove yellowing from antique lace and cotton fabric - with a trade name of 'Restoration'.

So the main task time-wise would be re-rigging more accurately - which might be just the practice I need in this area.  Having a pre-made wooden hull  (and not a bad one, at that) provides a short cut to the 'other' half of  doing a complete model.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65