Proper Technique for Jim Byrnes Saw

Hi Group,

Hoping to get some tips here.  I know this saw is designed very well, however I am having problems.  I recently replaced both the blade and the belt, and I am still barely able to cut 1/4 inch pear wood with it.  6 inches into the cut it stalls.  I am sure I am doing something wrong here.  Any advice is appreciated.  

Thanks to everyone's tips on the thickness sander it now works like a dream - hoping I can figure out the saw.  

Hello Chris, 

First thought: what blade are you using?

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

It sounds like a problem with the distance between the blade and the fence at the rear.

Are you using the new accessory?    Guild Product   Thin Strip Saw Jig

Thinking on it, I am guessing that if the rear of the fence is pushing the stock back into the blade, the jig will not remedy that.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

5 minutes ago, Jaager said:

Thinking on it, I am guessing that if the rear of the fence is pushing the stock back into the blade, the jig will not remedy that.

Chris, wise words from Jaaeger. As a test, try putting a credit card (or something similar) between the fence and the wood before the blade: this will eliminate any 'pinch' occurring as the workpiece is passing between the blade and the fence.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

I agree that the most likely cause is that the fence is not parallel to the blade ahead of the blade. The fence is relieved past the blade by Jim at the factory to allow clearance, so check for parallel. Oh, and always tighten the fence close to you before tightening the screw on the far side of the saw!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Chris - A few pictures to illustrate what you are doing would help a lot with diagnosis of the problem. All the above comments are pertinent but to be absolutely sure the photos would help. I regularly rip long lengths of 1/4 inch mahogany using a .032" slitting saw blade. This isn't the easiest of jobs but generally it works fine. I have have to say however that a lot of variables come into play which can undermine the process. These include.

- The dryness and type of wood. (Some wood don't cut easily, and some that do cut easily don't always cut easily. I sometimes find switching one piece of wood for another cures the problem).

- The run of the grain ( the grain is rarely parallel with the edge and the blade can try to follow the grain - sometimes cutting from the other end cures the problem ).

- Pressing the wood too hard against the fence ( can cause the plank being cut to progressively thicken (due to blade flexing) - creating a taper effect. Keep the pressure towards the fence positive but light).

But as I said earlier - more info would help with the diagnosis.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846