Rigging sequence

Go to solution Solved by allanyed,

Hello all, hope all are well. Well, I am up to the rigging in my black prince build.

this is my fifth build, and it seems when I get to the rigging, I always seem to have to review the best way to tackle this as the plans are a bit intimidating. Have a few excellent books that I consult, but  I need a bit of moral support from this community who I am sure are a lot more

experienced than myself. Anyway, my thought was to start by rigging the lowers to the deadyeyes p/s on the foremast, then do the same for the mainmast, then go back to the foremast and do the uppers, as well as the mainmast. Also in the book historic ship models by wolfram zu Mondfeld, on page 280, there is an explanation on shroud gangs. Should one long shroud with a center splice be used for port/stbd. Or should each shroud be separate with its own eyesplice?

…..thanks…..Charlie P

• Solution

Hi Charlie

Which Black Prince, there were a number of them?  James Lees' The Masting & Rigging of English Ships of War gives a very detailed and complete order of dressing on pages 158-160, It covers from circa 1611 through circa 1860 as the order did change over time as the configuration of masts, spars, and rigging changed.   If your particular model is the USS Alfred 1774 later renamed the Black Prince,  the order of dressing likely would still apply. 

Regarding your questions regarding the shrouds, it depends.  Again from Lees' book, this is described in great detail on page 42.   For the most part the forward most shrouds are in pairs, that is two starboard, then two port, two starboard, two port and so on.   The bight round the mast was between one and a quarter and one and a sixth the circumference of the mast head. If there was an odd number of shrouds,  the swifter (the aft most shroud) was fitted round the mast head with an eye splice (center splice) as you describe.   

Hope this helps

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Allan,

Thank you…..your explanation was very clear and I think I “see the” light.

You are correct….I am building the black prince which was formerly the Alfred.

The plans for this vessel seem ok, but are not great. One more question, if I may, 

On this eighteenth century vessel, it appears that the yards are secured to the mast via a spliced rope around the mast, down to a secure tie around the center of the yard. Does that seem correct to you?

….thanx again, Charlie

14 hours ago, Charlie pal said:

it appears that the yards are secured to the mast via a spliced rope around the mast,  

Charlie, unfortunately the answer to your last question is a little complex.  Given 1774 as the date, on 4th rate and 5th rate ships there were likely truss pendants on the lower yards that were rigged differently in different eras plus they had the jeers with two pair of blocks, each pair having a single on the yard and a double on a sling over the cross trees.   Sixth rates had two single and one double block, but in 1773 some were changed to have a jeer tie when this was reintroduced on ships of 28 guns and under.  Note that parrels with trucks on the lower yards were superseded by truss pendants in 1760.

The topsail yards would have had ties and two row truck parrels. 

Topgallants had a tie and truss parrel.

There is a lot to this, and again it can all be found in The Masting & Rigging of English Ships of War.    Way too much for me to copy and paste here while respecting copyrights.  I am sorry to keep going back to Lees' book, but it does have a wealth of information.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU