French Atlatinc Coast (Ports, Forts, Arsenals and similar)

Blas de Lezo

Dear Friends,

I'd like to ask for your help and also create, what I think, can be an interesting topic: naval infrastructure guide. I'm planning a holiday in the French Atlantic Coast, the one compressed between Bordeaux and Brest. I know there are several places to visit, WWII Submarine bases, and similar, but mainly I'm interested in the remains of what was used as support for the naval wars in the XVII, XVIII and XIX centuries. A nice example could be the Corderie Royale in Rochefort.

Is it possible to propose places that are possible to visit and are somehow related with the topic in hand?

I would be really thankful.

Cheers,

10 hours ago, Blas de Lezo said:

Is it possible to propose places that are possible to visit and are somehow related with the topic in hand?

This topic/forum area is perfect for that discussion.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, wefalck said:

The site of the Musée de la Marine is a good starting point: https://www.musee-marine.fr

Indeed, that was my starting point. In the list of places of interest, is included Rochefort, La Rochelle, Port-Louis and Brest. The thing is what to visit in between. I was thinking on Fort Louvois, Fort Boyard, Fort de l'Île Madame or Fort Liédot, but I have to investigate about the role those places played in the naval wars.

Anyway. Thanks for your comment.

Fort Boyard cannot be visited by individuals, as far as I know. However, there may be excursions from Rochefort to the Île-de-Aix by boat that take a tour around the fort. The Island itself has various fortifications that can be visited freely. In the context of the great model show in Rochefort in 2018 we made such a tour, but this was not a regular boat. 

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg