Remove or apply new paint directly on old paint

Hi,

I painted my 1/350 battleship hull in gloss red, and after looking at it, I don't really like how it looks, I want to wipe the red off and use the dull red spray instead, can I use 91% isopropyl alcohol to wipe it off? Will it melt/damage the plastic if I soak it in 91%? OR can I spray the dull red directly onto the old paint?

I agree with CPDDET’s post above.  Rub the old finish down with FINE wet/dry sandpaper.  Try 400 grit.  Once the glossy finish Is dull,  wipe down with a soft cloth and repaint. Chemicals  are unnecessary and you don’t know how they’ll react with either the old paint or the plastic hull material.

Roger

On 9/2/2023 at 5:24 PM, DMM said:

can I use 91% isopropyl alcohol to wipe it off? Will it melt/damage the plastic if I soak it in 91%?

Yes you can. Isopropyl alcohol won’t damage polystyrene but will dissolve acrylic paint. (I am assuming you have used acrylic paint because of your suggested solvent.) 

Personally I would remove the paint that you don’t like and start again with primer and topcoat. Painting over the gloss is risky because gloss paint isn’t a very good base layer. Sanding it might lead to unwanted scratches and texture showing through.