Tightening shrouds and ratlines

Charlie,

This is tricky! I loop the shroud around the deadeye and the pull the end of the line tight (but not too tight!). Then the loose end can be clipped to the standing part of the shroud while you add seizing the secure the shroud around the deadeye.

This is tricky because if you pull a shroud too tight you may bend the mast and cause other shrouds to sag. You want the mast to rise straight vertically, so bending it is not good.

I have rigged shrouds on several sailing ship models and somehow got them all to come out taut and not sagging. But I suspect this was more luck than technique!

I am about ready to rig the shrouds on my current model and have been giving some thought to this. The way they did this on sailing ships (see Darcy Lever's The Young Sea Officer's Sheet Anchor) was to rig a tackle to the end of the shroud and haul on it to stretch the shroud tight before securing it with seizing. I may try something like this, using rubber bands to tension all of the shrouds before tying the seizing on any of them.

You can rig all of the shrouds on a mast temporarily by using use small clips to hold the loose ends to the vertical shroud lines. Then after all are set up and nice and straight you can add the seizing.

I want a bit of sag to the ratlines, to look like they have been used for climbing. For this I paint the ratlines with shellac (clear dope, white glue, whatever) and then hang something on each catenary between the shrouds until the shellac sets.

5 hours ago, Dr PR said:

using rubber bands to tension all of the shrouds before tying the seizing on any of them.

Very interesting idea Phil.   I hope it works and please do post photos for us.

TIA
Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Allan,

Don't hold your breath! We are going on vacation next week and after that I will be doing taxes for a non-profit (Form 990) and that will take a week or two. Then I will be able to go back to work on the model and start the rigging.

Thanks Phil!

I may be working on a new project shortly, but even so, rigging will be months down the road so whenever you get to it, I look forward to hearing the results.

Enjoy your vacation!!

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU