Rigging the Endurance by Occre

This is my first ship with extensive rigging. I have completed the Model Shipways 3 beginner kits and am now doing the Endurance. Many thanks to Hakezou for his comprehensive build log. I refer to it all the time. My initial rigging questions are:

!. Shrouds and ratlines. Where do they attach at the top for the bottom set, at the edge of the "platform" ? The top set appears to  attach to the mast, but I can not see where the bottom set attaches. Also the Occre video shows attaching the ratlines with glue in one video and knots in another video. I assume glue is not recommended. 

2. The foremast "platform" has 9 holes on each side near the mast. Which lines go through? I assume the lines that attach to the rings at the bottom on the mast, but that only accounts for 5 per side. 

3. I plan to attach the lines to the eyes at the bottom of the main mast before gluing the masts in. After that I assume that it is best to follow the sequence of Occres plans, A, B C etc? Or is there a better sequence? I have attached all of the sails to their appropriate booms already, but have not attached them to the masts yet.

More questions will probably follow.

Sorry for all the questions, any help most appreciated.

Dave

I don't have this model but hope this helps:

1. The lower shrouds are in pairs and in reality are looped around the mast one side pair  and then the other. An easier modellers way is to pair through the platform one on each side as shown in the Occre Enduance video 61. on youtube.

2. Looks like those holes are just holes and nothing to do with the rigging.

3. Stays and shrouds then running rigging. You will make life easier if you do the ratlines after. You can then access ropes for belaying etc through the shrouds.

Occre instructions mostly leave you to it at the rigging stage The belaying plan is the most useful diagram but it really helps if you have some understanding of what the various ropes are for. You will by the time you've finished. Good luck :) 

David,

The Endurance was essentially a three masted topsail schooner. Read through this article to learn about schooner rigging. It discusses two masted schooners, but the Endurance just had a third fore-after mast similar to the main mast in these drawings.

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25679-topsail-schooner-sail-plans-and-rigging/?do=findComment&comment=750865

The rigging names will be similar for the spar and sail rigging, and the kit belaying plan should show where each line is belayed. Keep in mind that no two ships were the same, and even the same ship changed with time. So if you don't have the exact plan for the precise date you are modeling you will have to make a "best guess" for your model.

Edited by Dr PR

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2023 at 2:37 PM, David Enghauser said:

The foremast "platform" has 9 holes on each side near the mast. Which lines go through? I assume the lines that attach to the rings at the bottom on the mast, but that only accounts for 5 per side. 

It's hard to say without a picture but those could be fairleads for other lines. They are definitely not for the 5 lines you mention (which I interpret to be the shrouds which go through the large "lubber's hole). If they are fairleads, they are there to provide clear paths for some of the running rigging, typically things like braces, sheets, and clews from the top and topgallants that need to get through below the top (the platform). You may have other fairleads mounted in the forecastle, or the shrouds themselves (either a strip of wood with holes or a set of "trucks", wooden disks with holes drilled in them) attached midway up the shroud. It's all there to keep the rigging from getting tangled.

Regards,

George

Edited by gak1965

Current Builds: Bluejacket USS KearsargeRRS Discovery 1:72 scratch

Completed Builds: Model Shipways 1:96 Flying Fish | Model Shipways 1:64 US Brig Niagara | Model Shipways 1:64 Pride of Baltimore II (modified) | Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack | Heller 1:150 Passat | Revell 1:96 USS Constitution

There was an order of dressing of rigging and it made sense once I found it and used it.  It varied slightly as new lines came into use such as mizen preventer stays in 1793 or as removed such as truss parrels superseding parrels on the topsail yards in 1806.  Pages 158 -159 in James Lees' Masting and Rigging gives all the details. 

While it is nothing like your ship, the example below of the order of dressing of the lower foremast on the Victory, from a fold out page in Longridge's, Anatomy of Nelson's Ships may be of interest.

Allan

Victoryforemastrigging.thumb.png.2c878031f95682a58bc81e818d00d927.png

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Hi Phil,

Your rigging work looks extremely neatly done!  It may just be the angle of the photo, but It looks like you have the aft shrouds first which would be unusual as the starboard forward-most pair was rigged first, then subsequent port forward pair, and so on moving aft.   The stay was then rigged after all the shrouds were rigged.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU