Amundsen’s Gjoa Engine

During the course of building a model of Ronald Amundsen’s Gjoa, I have become curious about the vessel’s engine.

In his book on the Northwest Passage voyage, Amundsen says:

Our little motor — a 13 H.P. of the “Dan” type — which was connected to everything that could possibly be driven with its aid, was easy to work and practical in every part. The motor was the pet of every one on board. When it was not working we seemed to miss a good comrade. I may say that our successful negotiation of the North West Passage was very largely due to our excellent little engine.”

I have search for info on this “Dan” type engine, and come up empty handed. 

I am wondering if there has been a mis-translation or typo, and if this should have read “Day” type engine, meaning an early two-stroke gasoline engine. 

Anyone have any insight on this?

Thanks. 

Steve

"If they suspect me of intelligence, I am sure it will soon blow over, ha, ha, ha!"

-- Jack Aubrey

Builds:

Yankee Hero, Fannie Gorham, We’re Here, Dapper Tom (x3), New Bedford Whaler, US Brig Lawrence (Niagara), Wyoming (half hull), Fra Berlanga (half hull), Gokstad Viking Ship, Kate Cory, Charles Morgan, Gjoa

Here’s a link to the norwegian wikipedia site. 

https://wiki.cdd.no/index.php/Motorfabriken_Dan

and here from putting the engine back in the vessel after restoration.

https://frammuseum.no/nb/blog/2017/07/09/originalmotoren-tilbake-pa-gjoa/

Hope this helps a little!

Gaffrig.

Current builds Bluenose, Billing Boats

Lynx, Panart

Finished models Hannah ship in a bottle, Amati

Le Renard, Artesania Latina

Endeavour’s Longboat, Artesania Latina

Henriette Marie, Billing Boats

Ahhh…Excellent!  

Thank you for the links. The wiki.cdd.no link led to two others, which finally provided this:  “From the start in 1894 until 1925, DAN exclusively built 4-stroke glow-head engines, but around 1925 the first 2-stroke engine was tested.”

So, clearly, the engine is four stroke. 

There is clearly a wealth of info about these engines in the attachments; unfortunately, the only other Danish words my Bestafar taught me were “ aquavit” and “ skal ”.  That said, my question has been answered. 

Thanks again. 

Steve

"If they suspect me of intelligence, I am sure it will soon blow over, ha, ha, ha!"

-- Jack Aubrey

Builds:

Yankee Hero, Fannie Gorham, We’re Here, Dapper Tom (x3), New Bedford Whaler, US Brig Lawrence (Niagara), Wyoming (half hull), Fra Berlanga (half hull), Gokstad Viking Ship, Kate Cory, Charles Morgan, Gjoa

These semi Diesel engines used to be very popular for applications like commercial fishing boats.  They allowed diesel fuel to be used instead of the highly volatile and dangerous gasoline.  The glow plugs allowed a lower compression ratio and a lighter engine.  The glow plug was initially heater with an external heat source but once the engine started combustion in the cylinders kept them hot.

Even though not a true Diesel, Gjoa’s engine is still massive.

Roger