real ship photo thread?

Hi there:

A question for the moderators. I just packaged a bunch of photos that I took of the St. Roch here in the Vancouver Maritime Museum to send off to someone working on the Billings model and wondered if there was a thread or gallery where these could be broadly shared...I often see pictures of real ships on build logs and elsewhere for reference, but a single landing place for these would, I think, be useful for the community - perhaps it already exists and I didn't work hard enough to find it! If not, though, could a new area of the forum be created? 

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

We actually had one but folks didnt take copyright seriously.  They just copy pasted from all over the web.  And we got caught.  I guy whose pics were lifted and posted here caused us some serious heartache.  

He wanted $$$….and threatened with lawyers.  Of course we removed them the moment we were notified but that didnt stop the guy.  Finally I told him to go after the member who posted them…

That we werent responsible.  So that was that.  But it was dicey for a while.

Same situation as you might guess!!!  After we found hundreds and hundreds more all posted by the same member mostly.  He had found another site that a photographer owned and who had hundreds of pics all copyrighted.  The MSW member didnt care and just kept posting after numerous warnings from our staff.  We finally had to let that guy go…no reasoning with some folks.  

rather than spend a week sifting through pages of posts and deleting just the copyright images it was just easier to delete the entire topic.

The issue comes under the protection provided to forums (such as ours) for what a rogue individual might post.  Efforts continue (via SCOTUS) to undermine this long-standing precedent (as efforts to continue to try and 'flip' any Supreme Court ruling when the makeup of the Court changes, regardless of how long a prior ruling has been in effect) face considerable headwind in Congress, as seems to be no agreement how a 'halfway' measure could be fabricated - or how said wording might be interpreted by any court.  Bottom line, anyone can sue anybody for anything (if they have enough money to burn).

WHAT IS SECTION 230?

If a news site falsely calls you a swindler, you can sue the publisher for libel. But if someone posts that on Facebook, you can’t sue the company — just the person who posted it.

That’s thanks to Section 230 of the 1996 Communications Decency Act, which states that “no provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by another information content provider.”

That legal phrase shields companies that can host trillions of messages from being sued into oblivion by anyone who feels wronged by something someone else has posted — whether their complaint is legitimate or not.

Politicians on both sides of the aisle have argued, for different reasons, that Twitter, Facebook and other social media platforms have abused that protection and should lose their immunity — or at least have to earn it by satisfying requirements set by the government.

Section 230 also allows social platforms to moderate their services by removing posts that, for instance, are obscene or violate the services’ own standards, so long as they are acting in “good faith.”

WHERE DID SECTION 230 COME FROM?

The measure’s history dates back to the 1950s, when bookstore owners were being held liable for selling books containing “obscenity,” which is not protected by the First Amendment. One case eventually made it to the Supreme Court, which held that it created a “chilling effect” to hold someone liable for someone else’s content.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

Ahh - that makes sense to me! Thanks for clarifying Chuck!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy