SS Canberra by Old Rentner - FINISHED - Airfix - 1/600 - PLASTIC

On 5/23/2024 at 3:47 AM, Old Collingwood said:

Congratulations  -  what you  did  was  to  convert  a  very  poor old  kit  that  out of the  box  just looked poor  in quality and detail,  and  you have given it  some life  - and  now  placed in a  well deserved  place  in its  case.:champagne-popping-smiley-emotic

OC.

Thank you for your encouragement.  I’m glad that it is finished, it was a bit of a struggle for me to improve it because the kit built as Airfix intended looked pretty terrible!

On 1/25/2024 at 10:12 AM, Old Rentner said:

I did, in fact, apply several layers, the problem was when trying to shape the finished fill, the filler was elastic and did not sandpaper (wet and dry) very well thus precluding the ability to smooth out the surfaces.  I applied more than needed in the end in order to be able to cut it back smoothly but this did not work either!

IMG_5087.jpeg.c86cd24bc17b9359c9f99c72d641de33.jpeg

I did try smoothing it out with water but it ‘set’ too quickly to get a good finish.

I know this is a while back but I use that putty for fine seams works well I have a q-tip ready after application to wipe away that's the beauty of it no sanding.Now if gap is a bit more than a seam I might go stretched sprue lay it down in the gag liquid glue(Tamy Thin) and press it into the gap when soft then need be some plastic putty.;)

On 5/22/2024 at 10:40 AM, Old Rentner said:

The ‘finished’ model now stands firmly on a wooden base with an acrylic cover!

IMG_5523.thumb.jpeg.8faaf7d5201ba8fe41fb7ccda7e0f161.jpeg

IMG_5518.thumb.jpeg.75030c4a803c333c7e31b6405bde6202.jpeg

IMG_5522.jpeg.960a53acce321fac9047216abb8b93c3.jpeg

IMG_5520.thumb.jpeg.9a6744e84cf832647d5e3ab9d962e47a.jpeg

The end!

You did a fine job with an old Kit really came Nice and the case cost way Way more than the kit!!I have may materials on order ATTM for my build.:imNotWorthy:

Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2024 at 3:39 PM, Ian_Grant said:

I'm late to this party but wanted to add my congratulations on the very nice final model!  She looks great in her display case!

I admire your determination to overcome this old model's issues and look forward to your next build.

Ian

Thank you Ian - I’m afraid that it was not much of a party though!!

After the intricacies of the Mayflower rigging and the minuteness of the rails and stairs, I doubt that there will be an other build!

IMG_5556.thumb.png.bd12b266181f152ed9747740ba896c23.png

IMG_5557.thumb.png.5a82463410c397c69fd5860fa84ad811.png

Edited by Old Rentner

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Javlin said:

You did a fine job with an old Kit really came Nice and the case cost way Way more than the kit!!I have may materials on order ATTM for my build.:imNotWorthy:

You are right the case was far the most expensive item in the build but it’s nice to have something that was well made.

Edited by Old Rentner