HMS Beagle by Firs49 - OcCre - 1:60 - First Build

This was my first model also.  I had not discovered this site yet when I did my planking.  I used the instructions and the Occre YouTube videos to instruct me.  

This is not the historically accurate way to plank a hull.   If planking it in a historically accurate manor is important to you, there are many resources on the site and YouTube.   Look at TLevine’s half hull project on the sight and Chuck Passaro’s YouTube videos.  I will caution you that I am not convinced the very thin second layer material from Occre is suited to Chuck’s technique.  

My goal on that model was just to build Occre’s version of the HMS Beagle.   I enjoyed myself enough to build a second ship and now I have a couple more on the shelf.  My future ships will be planked using more accurate techniques.  But I think I would have failed if I had attempted it on my first model.   

My advice is to decide what is important to you on this build, look at the material available on the site and from Occre and decide how you want to proceed based on that research. 

Good luck.  

Completed Build:   HMS Beagle - Occre

Current Build:         Frigate Diana - Occre  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/33530-frigate-diana-by-rossr-occre-185/

On the Shelf:           Santisima Trinidad Cross Section - Occre, NRG Half Hull, the US Brig Syren - Model Shipways and USF Essex - Model Shipways.

13 hours ago, RossR said:

This was my first model also.  I had not discovered this site yet when I did my planking.  I used the instructions and the Occre YouTube videos to instruct me.  

This is not the historically accurate way to plank a hull.   If planking it in a historically accurate manor is important to you, there are many resources on the site and YouTube.   Look at TLevine’s half hull project on the sight and Chuck Passaro’s YouTube videos.  I will caution you that I am not convinced the very thin second layer material from Occre is suited to Chuck’s technique.  

My goal on that model was just to build Occre’s version of the HMS Beagle.   I enjoyed myself enough to build a second ship and now I have a couple more on the shelf.  My future ships will be planked using more accurate techniques.  But I think I would have failed if I had attempted it on my first model.   

My advice is to decide what is important to you on this build, look at the material available on the site and from Occre and decide how you want to proceed based on that research. 

Good luck.  

Thanks Ross. At this stage I'm not so worried about historical accuracy but something that turns out reasonably on a visual basis.

I would use the Occre YouTube videos and instructions in that case.  Sanding and filler will fix any issues you have on the first layer, and second layer will go on pretty easy after that.   

Completed Build:   HMS Beagle - Occre

Current Build:         Frigate Diana - Occre  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/33530-frigate-diana-by-rossr-occre-185/

On the Shelf:           Santisima Trinidad Cross Section - Occre, NRG Half Hull, the US Brig Syren - Model Shipways and USF Essex - Model Shipways.

I think the one I would try and follow is this one:

http://modelshipworldforum.com/resources/Framing_and_Planking/plankingprojectbeginners.pdf

To be honest, if you mess up the first planking it's not too much of an issue, as long as you can fill and sand to a smooth finish.  However, it would make sense to try and master the skill if you can.

The second planking in this kit is very thin and forgiving so as long as you can cut it to shape, it will fit and look okay.  Again it would be better to try and master the skill but I think with this kit you can't go far wrong.

Chimp.

Current Build: ....

Previous Builds: HMS Beagle - OcCre,   HM Schooner Ballahoo - Caldercraft

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2024 at 4:16 AM, Firs49 said:

Looks like lots of sanding and filler ahead.

Post #31 from Ross is spot on.  If you take his advice you will be happy with the result. The main thing is to be sure you do not get the lifting from excessive edge bending so there is not excessive sanding needed.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

On 2/19/2024 at 3:56 AM, Firs49 said:

Anything to delay planking which I must admit I am dreading.

Have you started planking yet ? How is it going? I found it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

20240112_100714.jpg

20240123_114241.jpg

On 4/16/2024 at 11:28 AM, Firs49 said:

Sanding is a dirty, dirty business and seems to be taking forever.

IMG_9425.JPG

IMG_9426.JPG

IMG_9427.JPG

Looks like you could do with more filler.  Be careful you don't sand too much and break through the wood.

Chimp

Current Build: ....

Previous Builds: HMS Beagle - OcCre,   HM Schooner Ballahoo - Caldercraft

10 hours ago, The Gimps Chimp said:

Looks like you could do with more filler.  Be careful you don't sand too much and break through the wood.

Chimp

Thanks for the warning and the wood filler is ready to go as I haven't put any on yet as trying to get the basic shape there ready for filling.

• 2 weeks later...

I did this on my first build also. You will be fine, as it looks like you are well under way to recover from your little mistake. My compliments on the planking job. Is looking really good, especially this being your first time!

Sebastian

Current build: HM Armed Cutter Sherbourne

Previous builds: Yakatabune, HMS Bounty jolly boat, Dinghy

On 4/30/2024 at 11:47 AM, Firs49 said:

I have seen a tip recommending the fixing of the keel prior to the second planking being installed. Is this a good approach? 

I am currently doing that on an OcCre build (San Juan), to ensure that any small gaps between the first planking and the keel are filled by the second planking (and, similarly, no new gaps are introduced, particularly at the bow). Have not finished the second planking, but so far it seems to be working.

I considered installing the keel even earlier, before the first planking but I think that would have risked damaging the keel during the sanding of that layer. For the second planking, that risk is small as sanding should be very limited.

Some kit manufacturers, such as Vanguard, make the keel out of an inner part, installed before the first planking and two outer parts (one on each side) installed before the second planking. If the inner part were to be damaged during the first planking, that is hidden by the outer parts. 

Sebastian

Current build: HM Armed Cutter Sherbourne

Previous builds: Yakatabune, HMS Bounty jolly boat, Dinghy