Thanks, Tom.  Sorry for the delayed response but I was on the road and without internet access.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Most kits come with deadeyes and partially completed chains.  Usually, the upper link (the link that goes around the deadeye) is pre-formed, with the bottom cut for insertion of the deadeye.  Wire is provided for the builder to form the other two links but the entire assembly has very little strength and the cut ends of wire are ugly.  The only way to make this assembly stronger and better looking is to solder the links closed.  I prefer silver soldering, even though regular soldering will give sufficient strength.  The benefit of silver soldering is that the metal is fused together rather than connected by a dissimilar metal, tin.  This makes it easier to bend the part without worrying about the solder joint breaking.  The downside is that there is a learning curve and the tools are more expensive.  Silver solder also blackens well.  There are also low melting point silver bearing solders (Tix) which can be blackened. 

The measurements for all the parts of a British warship were determined by the Admiralty.  There are reference books that contain this information such as Steel’s Tables.  An easily read version of the tables is sold in the NRG store.  The main mast diameter is given on the plans as 18”.  Using the information from the tables, I determined that the main stay is 9” and the shrouds are 5.5”.   Lines are measured by their circumference. The diameter of the deadeye is 1.5 times the size of the shroud or stay it is attached to, in this case 8 ¼”.  A spreadsheet comes in handy in determining all the measurements.

Let me start by saying that my metal work has a bit to be desired.  The chains are made from 1 ¼” wire, which is 22 gauge.  I temper the wire by drawing it through a gas flame until it glows red.  This makes the wire more malleable and removes any factory applied coating.

The deadeye chain is the same length for all the deadeyes.  Make one and use it as a template for the others.  I wrapped wire around the deadeye, leaving long tails, and inserted this into the slot in the channel.  The tails were cut long enough to be able form the loop below the channel.  I removed the deadeye and applied a finish. 

Deadeyes1a.jpg.5ec3fb61f232c6b2835b525e8bc31b2e.jpg

The lower links are all the same length.  From the plans I knew that the toe of the lower link is bolted 5” below the top of the wale and that its overall length was 9”.  Two T-pins were inserted into the soldering board and the wire was wrapped around them, with the cut ends on the side.  The middle link is different for every shroud because each is at a different angle to the mast as seen in the two pictures below.  The link becomes longer with greater angulation of the shroud.  You can see the difference in the shroud angles and how this would affect the length of the middle link.

Deadeyes9a.thumb.jpg.508660230c93961791373d70a354cd8b.jpg

Deadeyes10a.thumb.jpg.a1cf96fdaef89c8b43c1845a5a0808a7.jpg

To determine the angle of the chains, I put masking tape on the hull above and below the channel.  A loop of rope was placed over the mast head and inserted through a slot in the channel.  The angles made by the shroud were transferred to the tape.  I dimpled the wale where the toe of the lower link and the lower preventer chain bolts will be located and removed the tape.

Deadeyes11a.thumb.jpg.c897e8aad7937ad13b173c592ce90509.jpg

A hole was drilled through the wale where the toe of the lower link would later be bolted.  The lower link and deadeye were temporarily installed. The length of the middle chains was determined by trial and error.  With the deadeye and lower link in place, I formed the middle link from rope the same thickness as the wire and transferred those lengths to wire.  I formed the middle link and soldered it closed, keeping the joint on one of the long sides.  Then I inserted the lower link through the middle link and soldered it. 

Deadeyes4a.jpg.e3fc90b8ca5584373b4bb8fbb1bf230a.jpg

A T-pin was pushed into the soldering board and used to form the lower link toe.  The lower link is also bent at the toe, allowing it to lay flat against the wale. 

Deadeyes5a.jpg.0fe0f0238533a2a49f99b4854b6280dc.jpg

Finally, the wire for the upper link was passed through the middle link and  soldered.  The deadeye was inserted into the loop and the wire was crimped around it to fit into the channel slot, placing the solder joint in the slot camouflaged it.  

Deadeyes6a.thumb.jpg.c915040c8204042f46d3aec54331bd73.jpg

And here are the ten chains, ready for blackening.  The blackening chemical did not damage the wood deadeyes. 

Deadeyes7a.thumb.jpg.1ec516cdd0d71a6e183aaa4d91e2aef0.jpg

After blackening, the chains were installed.  I have a piece of wire temporarily holding the lower link to the wale. 

Deadeyes12a.jpg.40669fb6cc763f67fca49dd8c8b6ae2c.jpg

The preventer plate prevents the bolt securing the lower link from going all the way through the toe. It was made from square bar stock that was forged to the correct shape.  Mine are made from sheet brass, cut and filed to the correct shape.  Just like the middle links, they varied in length. The top of the plate makes a step over the bottom of the lower link toe to cover it. To determine the distance between the bolt holes on the plate, I measured the distance between the toe bolt and the previously marked lower preventer plate bolt and added the diameter of the wire the link was made from.  The sequence is shown in the drawing below. After they were finished, they were blackened and installed.  

PreventerplatesMSW.JPG.236c0b44d059cbe25874c842d7f54340.JPG

To hold the upper links in the channels, a strip of molding was placed over them.  Next up, the rigging begins.

Deadeyes13a.jpg.5158e7dbd519090ee82fb6a8b77e04a5.jpg

Toni

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Yes, the kit will have the lower topmast deadeyes.  And yes, they are smaller.  As I stated in my post above, "The diameter of the deadeye is 1.5 times the size of the shroud or stay it is attached to..."  The topmast shrouds are 3.5", in contrast to the lower shrouds (5.5").

Toni

25 minutes ago, tlevine said:

"The diameter of the deadeye is 1.5 times the size of the shroud or stay it is attached to..."  The topmast shrouds are 3.5", in contrast to the lower shrouds (5.5").

Thank you for this information,  don't know how I missed that before.  So then the royal mast, on a real ship, would be 2" approximately in diameter if same size rules apply??

Everything depended on the size and type of ship.  This little ship only had a lower mast and topmast.

Toni