Occre Santisima Trinidad question

Hi all,  I’ve been searching through various logs to find anyone who, in executing this model used the cast stern piece, pictured below.  
I’ve seen that several people have decided to build this from scratch (which I’d prefer not to do) but the challenges are:

(1) the curvature isn’t quite right and I’m stumped on how to adjust it.

(2) the painting of this is daunting,  I can see several ways to approach it but none that seem to achieve the end results.

Would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.image.thumb.jpg.0a42f2bc218db616d303da0768d318d9.jpg

This happened to me in minor ways with others models.

It is possible that this model project is rather old and they never upgraded it. Now the stern costruction is solved by manufacturers with laser cut multiple metal pieces instead of a single cast piece.

The original stamp of your model is old and clearly deformed by wearing.

Below my suggestions:

Stern modification

The front of the stern panel must be leaved as it is. You cannot bend with heat, since is fragile metal and not ductile one, so get broken.

The rear of the stern can be carved in order to let have a more deep bending in the central part, using a hobby electric drill (the ones with small grinding wheels that can be attached).

then you must glue it to the ship (after priming the piece).

After is firmly glued, you can use modelling paste like the Kneadatite (called also green stuff) to fill the gaps with the hull and give continuity to the surface.

Otherwise the wood filler, but usually it doesn't adhere properly to metal surface.

The Kneadatite adhere best to metal.

The Kneadatite is a common paste sold in the models shops. is a very common product in the model fields.

Stern painting

After you have modified it, but before glueing to the hull, cover with black matte primer, better to use a spray one.

you can eventually paint with related colors the details internal parts of the stern, leaving only primered the external frame, too.

I suggest to use acrylic paint for decoupage, since they contain big pigments and have a better covering capability.

After you have glued to the hull and successully filled the gaps with the hull, you can paint the external frame.

The paint needs fixing of course.

So you must cover with plastic the area surrounding the stern and spray a matte transparent paint.

if you have some doubts, feel free to ask.

I am Italian, so english is not my mother language. so sorry is something is not explained well.

Done:          Venetian Polacre http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/7290-venetian-polacre-by-cristiano-sec-xviii-from-original-drawings/

Halifax  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/844-halifax/

Ranger  https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2175-ranger-revenue-cutter-by-corel/   

HM Bark Endeavour (Corel kit heavily kitbashed) : http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/125-hmbark-endeavour-corel-kit-bashed/                                              

Venetian Galleon (from scratch) - Pirate Junk - Sicilian Speronara (from scratch)

On the shelf (still packed):     Artesania Le Hussard....

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Cristiano. Not sure why, but I did not get notified of your response and only saw it today.

In the interim, I found a build log where someone addressed the issue and proceeded to do my best on it.

I built up at the sides of the stern with some spare material to fill the gaps as shown in the first picture.

IMG_1481.thumb.jpeg.ccc7314c187fbf638581f09a9c5915c4.jpegIMG_1483.thumb.jpeg.ac8069d385dcb6c0b2e7e17ed411ff65.jpeg