Grand Banks Dory by davec - Model Shipways - 1:24 - Shipwright Series

I started another project, the Model Shipways Grand Banks Dory.  There are many build logs with kit pictures, so I won’t include here.  I’m planning on replacing all the basswood anyways.

I usually have two projects (wooden ship and plastic airplane) going, but for a bunch of reasons, thought I should try doing two ship models at the same time.

Rationale:

·         I got a really good deal on it at a club auction

·         I’ve wanted to try one of David Antscherl’s kits

·         I think I have my jointer and bandsaw finally tuned right, and wanted to try milling some wood

·         I’ve found working with laser cut pieces on the longboat a little frustrating.  I’m sure I will get better at it with some more practice, but wanted to get a sense of the comparison between cutting the parts out myself vs cleaning char off laser cut pieces.

·         I want to build with boxwood and some contrasting wood, and wanted to see how well patterns made from scanned laser cut sheets would work.  This was particularly important on this model as the plans in the instruction book don’t include all the parts.

·         Main reason: I’m planning on starting a fully framed Echo, but want another project going so I don’t try working on Echo when tired or distracted.  This seemed a good opportunity to pilot building two ship models at the same time.  If it isn’t going to work for two fairly simple kits (longboat and Dory), I shouldn’t try it with Echo.

So far, so good.  I started with the stand as a test for the jointer and bandsaw.  The wood is a piece of pao ferro that I had on my shelf.  Very happy with both tools. The bandsaw got knocked out of alignment during the house move a few years ago, and is finally dialed back in.  The jointer was never fully adjusted and is finally working the way it should.

Scanning the basswood laser cut sheets has also worked well.  The burn marks are thin enough and in the right place to get good patterns.  For the first few pieces (hull bottom, stem, transom, stern knee) cutting the parts out has been very straightforward and taken less time than cleaning char.  For some parts like the longboat frames this would not be true. 

I’ve also been making some progress on the other two projects and will update the logs soon.

IMG_6336.thumb.JPG.cd4952e0cb3de55749336bef268dcdec.JPG

Current builds:

Wingnut Wings AMC DH9

Model Shipways 1/48 Longboat

Model Shipways 1/24 Grand Banks Dory

Soon to start:

Fully framed Echo

Completed builds:

East Coast Oyster Sharpie

Echo Cross Section

1/48 Scratchbuilt Hannah from Hahn plans

1/64 Kitbashed Rattlesnake from Bob Hunt practicum

1/64 Brig Supply

Posted (edited)

Following along.

Your decision to use different wood illustrates that even a simple "beginner's kit' can provide challenges and avenues for the more experienced modeler. 

I look forward to this build.  You've got a good start and a nice plan for the project. 

Edited by robert952
correct typo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Chenoweth

Current Build: Maine Peapod; Midwest Models; 1/14 scale.

In the research department:

Nothing at this time.

Completed models (Links to galleries): 

Monitor and Merrimack; Metal Earth; 1:370 and 1:390 respectively.  (Link to Build Log.)

Shrimp Boat; Lindbergh; 1/60 scale (as commission for my brother - a tribute to a friend of his)

North Carolina Shad Boat; half hull lift; scratch built.  Scale: (I forgot).  Done at a class at the NC Maritime Museum.

Dinghy; Midwest Models; 1/12 scale

(Does LEGO Ship in a Bottle count?)

Robert - many thanks!  I have a special talent for turning simple things into challenges.

Helge - thanks for following.  I looked at your build, which looks really interesting.  I hadn't realized that Dorys were rigged for sail.  I plan on building according to the model shipways plans (or at least to scans of the kit parts) so will not be rigging the model.

I've made a little progress, adding the stem and stern.  I've started cutting the frames and crosspieces for the building jig.IMG_6341(1).thumb.JPG.18761bddc28302dd823d1d8a85fedcf1.JPG

Current builds:

Wingnut Wings AMC DH9

Soon to start:

Fully framed Echo

Completed builds:

Echo Cross Section

1/64 Brig Supply

Looks like a great start! I'm very interested in seeing how it turns out with the boxwood/contrasting wood hull.

• 3 weeks later...

I spent some time travelling and work got busy, but I've been cutting out and sanding pieces.  I made the jig support pieces in basswood.  They are thick enough that I think they will support the sanding and bending even thought the boxwood frames and planking may exert more force than the kit basswood during the sanding and gluing.  I made new parts and didn't use the kit ones as it looks like these get sacrificed when the model is cut from the jig and I wanted to leave the original kit buildable.

IMG_6370.thumb.JPG.6e6c9f87bf73a2d5ce15c43cfd935a7a.JPG

Current builds:

Wingnut Wings AMC DH9

Soon to start:

Fully framed Echo

Completed builds:

Echo Cross Section

1/64 Brig Supply

• 3 weeks later...

The frames  are cut out, glued together, installed, and faired.  I debonded and reglued the sternpost again after the picture was taken.  When I dryfit the garboard strake, it was a little too short. I realized I had glued the sternpost a little too far out.  I'm not using the kit parts, and without the laser marked guides, didn't get the post in the right place the first time.  After regluing and refairing, it looks like the planks will fit correctly.  I tried brushing water on the hull bottom as per the instructions.   It looks like it works great on the kit wood, but not the boxwood I'm using.  I didn't get an adequate bend, and there were some water stain marks (should have taken a picture, but didn't) on the other side of the wood at the margin of where the water soaked into the wood.  I was able to sand most of the stain away.  I got an adequate bend from fully soaking the wood (fortunately did not weaken the glue joints) and didn't have a problem with staining.

IMG_6377.thumb.JPG.4e92288ebf774bfc3498882d1044d86d.JPGIMG_6384.thumb.JPG.78c9a465f7ce307c210837bc7d29aa46.JPG

Current builds:

Wingnut Wings AMC DH9

Soon to start:

Fully framed Echo

Completed builds:

Echo Cross Section

1/64 Brig Supply

Druxey - thanks!  I think boxwood is worth the extra effort in terms of how it looks, especially if leaving unstained or painted.  I've been trying the techniques in the instructions to see which ones might work with it.  Brushing the water on one side was intriguing.  I haven't had any problems with clamps or rubber bands indenting the wood, even when wet.  For the garboard, I'm soaking the entire piece, which was working great until I knocked the sternpost off.  Work on hold until the glue dries.

Current builds:

Wingnut Wings AMC DH9

Soon to start:

Fully framed Echo

Completed builds:

Echo Cross Section

1/64 Brig Supply