SM9 1908 by PvG Aussie - Das Werk - Scale 1:72 - PLASTIC - WW1 U-boat

I've bought the kit. Have the gear. Hope to share with others when I start in a few weeks. It should be a great change to the boats and planes I have made to date. I plan to weather this model as it had quite a distinguised history.

Box.jpg

PvG Aussie (Peter) Started modelling Jan 2022.  Joined MSW March 2024. Quote: Rome wasn't built in a day!

Current Build:   Das Werk WWI German U-Boat SM U-9 (1:72)

Past Builds:       Artesania Latina (AL) Belem   (1:75),  AL Vasa (1:65)  , Scratch build Australia II SIB (1:225), AL Bluenose II (1:75)  AL Bounty (1:48),  AL Endeavour (1:65)

Trumpeter Bismarck (1:200),  Border Models Avro Lancaster Bomber (1:32),  AL Fokker Dr1 (1:16) PLUS approx 13 ships in bottles

• The title was changed to SM9 1908 by PvG Aussie - Das Werk - Scale 1:72 - PLASTIC - WW1 U-boat

I always like to start with plenty of research on the history of the boat and then any builds done by others.

History is covered by heaps of sites on the internet as well as the enclosed book found in the kit.

As far as previous builds are concerned, I have found the following: https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=-z9T2yxpHAghttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFrmrMl7JoUhttps://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235123886-progress-build-of-das-werks-172-scale-sm-u-9-german-wwi-u-boat/ (this last link has a great history coverage as well as a 'box opening'), and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A9IBHt-zAE (this link has three parts: build, painting and weathering. Quite useful.)

I'll now watch all of these and make notes on ideas I like and possible decisions I will have to make along the way.

Cheers,

PvG Aussie (Peter) Started modelling Jan 2022.  Joined MSW March 2024. Quote: Rome wasn't built in a day!

Past Builds:       Artesania Latina (AL) Belem   (1:75),  AL Vasa (1:65)  , Scratch build Australia II SIB (1:225), AL Bluenose II (1:75)  AL Bounty (1:48),  AL Endeavour (1:65)

Trumpeter Bismarck (1:200),  Border Models Avro Lancaster Bomber (1:32),  AL Fokker Dr1 (1:16) PLUS approx 13 ships in bottles

Yes I did, and I also checked out you excellent build of the same ship. I hope you don't mind if I get a few ideas from your U9?

Cheers

Ps I have a close friend in Canberra and hope to visit some day. Perhaps I could use the opportunity to check out your creations!😀

Posted (edited)

Our show is in February so if you want me to put your name down, just let me know. You are welcome to stay here among the ships and planes. This year was my first time in a regional competition and I won 'Best Ship', 'People's Choice' and 'Best of Show' with my 1/48 scale "Bounty- after the mutiny". These awards were a great surprise as I have only been modelling for a bit over two years.

I checked out your ships and they are truly amazing.

Cheers

Edited by PvG Aussie
Spelling error

Ok, maybe some other time!

Good luck with that submarine :)

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques - Yves Cousteau.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Current Build:

"Roar Ege" by Billing Boats - 1:25

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

I've started!

Today I:

1. Gave up on waiting for parts in the mail.

2. Slip proofed the walk areas on the top of the tanks. I used an old brush and Tamiya Putty and cleaned the edge with Tamiya Lacquer Thinner. I tried Tamiya Surface Primer but the effect was not textured enough. I am very pleased with the result.

3. Primed everything! What was grey is now black (SMS Surfacer Black).

Tomorrow I will start weathering the lower hull by 'black basing and lighter marbeling'.

1 Non-slip.jpg

2. Primer.jpg

Edited by PvG Aussie

Hi Peter, looks good so far. May I ask why you not tokk the parts out of the cast / sprue? In the past as I was doing plastic models (most likely space ships) I always cut the parts out of the cast, trimming them and painted (sprayed with an airbrush gun) the parts. I think it´s easier than fixing the cuts / trimmings after the parts are painted. But that is just my humble opinion. Would be interesting to read other opinions about it.

Micha

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques - Yves Cousteau.

Current Build:

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

Micha, I did it this way because I find it easier to handle the parts while still on the sprues. There is no real problem with cut marks later on as it is only the primer and there are plenty of opportunities to paint the 'missed bits' later. I will probably do the same for the next stage so as to avoid getting my fingers in the way.

Stay tuned for tomorrow's report, I'll let you know if I change my mind.

Cheers, Peter

4 hours ago, PvG Aussie said:

Stay tuned for tomorrow's report, I'll let you know if I change my mind.

Looking forward to it Peter :D

Micha

Current Build:

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

I'm happy with today's effort eventhough my air brush played up badly with the low pressure required. So today I:

1. Masked the lower hull for painting.

2. Cut the hull pieces from the sprue because I didn't want to do 'fiddly bits' on big pieces. (NB: Scottish Guy!)

3. Did the first spot marbeling on the hull and tank tops. Used Tamiya Sky Grey XF-19 and 20A Thinner, (1:2), Retarder Medium at 10psi.

4. Did the second spot marbeling using Tamiya Sky Grey XF-19, Flat White XF-2 and 20A Thinner, (1:1:2), RetarderMedium at 10psi.

5. Applied the final coat of Tamiya Lijn Gray XF-77 at 20psi.

6. Applied a clear coat of 'rattle can' Tamiya Flat Clear TS-80.

Next time, I think I may add panel liner as well as stencil some tiny patches of a lighter colour onto the lower hull.

3. First marbeling.jpg

4. Second Marbeling.jpg

5 Final coat.jpg

6. Final Coat.jpg

Looks really good, sorry to hear that your airbrush played up (gladly I never had such issues yet). But the results are amazing. I like the dark shade on the lap joints. Looks really authentic :)

And you made me blush lol to mention me ;). Looking forward to the next post

Micha

Current Build:

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

I think I'm reasonably happy with today's results. 

I firstly gave the hull another coat of Ljn Gray as the lighter grays underneath looked too light this morning.

Next I started playing with the algae look by adding SMS RAAF Dark Slate which I applied with a hard brush. Then followed this with a larger brush wash with the same paint. I also started on the deck 'timber look' which I intend covering with hair spray and a very dark grey or even black so that I can weather walking areas to show the timber underneath.

I'm not sure, but I think the green and timber look ok.

8. Green brush.jpg

9. Timber Deck.jpg

Edited by PvG Aussie