Lowell Grand Banks Dory by MBerg - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:24 - First Build

Nice looking model. Hope when I get around to the one in my stash, it looks this good.

As FYI, you may want to look at Chesapeake Light Craft (www.clcboats.com).  They have a lot of kits you can build including a pram or they sell plans only. Cost of plans only seem reasonable to me.  But then I am not in the market to build a prototype. 

At least it's a starting point when you start looking to build your own. 

I did use information on this site when researching my peapod. There videos and such pointed me in a direction for additional research. I forked over three bucks for study plans of their peapod.  They have a few 'build logs' for some of the boats, too. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Chenoweth

Current Build: Maine Peapod; Midwest Models; 1/14 scale.

In the research department:

Nothing at this time.

Completed models (Links to galleries): 

Monitor and Merrimack; Metal Earth; 1:370 and 1:390 respectively.  (Link to Build Log.)

Shrimp Boat; Lindbergh; 1/60 scale (as commission for my brother - a tribute to a friend of his)

North Carolina Shad Boat; half hull lift; scratch built.  Scale: (I forgot).  Done at a class at the NC Maritime Museum.

Dinghy; Midwest Models; 1/12 scale

(Does LEGO Ship in a Bottle count?)

23 hours ago, JacquesCousteau said:

Is the base just the basswood that came with the kit? What stain did you use with it?

Yes, just the kit basswood. I used mixwax dark walnut, one of their regular oil based stains. I realized the combo kit I had from ME with the dory, pram and smack came with some satin clear coat. So I put a couple coats of that on top to seal it. I didn't really have anything else, and tung oil is the only thing I've used before. 

On the slip:

Norwegian sailing pram

On the drafting table:

OcCre Polaris

Muscongus Bay lobster smack

Completed:

Lowell Grand Banks Dory

6 hours ago, robert952 said:

Chesapeake Light Craft (www.clcboats.com).  They have a lot of kits you can build including a pram or they sell plans only

Oh wow, that looks like a nice resource. Thank you. 

Can't get much for three dollars anymore. Boat plans sounds like a good deal! 

On the slip:

Norwegian sailing pram

On the drafting table:

OcCre Polaris

Muscongus Bay lobster smack

Completed:

Lowell Grand Banks Dory

12 hours ago, MBerg said:

Oh wow, that looks like a nice resource. Thank you. 

Can't get much for three dollars anymore. Boat plans sounds like a good deal! 

To be clear, the $3 was for the 'study plans' a single sheet showing general shape and layout.  Plans for the actual boats cost quite a bit more.  But as you say, seem reasonable. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Chenoweth

Current Build: Maine Peapod; Midwest Models; 1/14 scale.

In the research department:

Nothing at this time.

Completed models (Links to galleries): 

Monitor and Merrimack; Metal Earth; 1:370 and 1:390 respectively.  (Link to Build Log.)

Shrimp Boat; Lindbergh; 1/60 scale (as commission for my brother - a tribute to a friend of his)

North Carolina Shad Boat; half hull lift; scratch built.  Scale: (I forgot).  Done at a class at the NC Maritime Museum.

Dinghy; Midwest Models; 1/12 scale

(Does LEGO Ship in a Bottle count?)

• 2 weeks later...