1:48 Longboat - CAFModel

1:48 Longboat
CAFModel

Catalogue # B-05-190
Available from CAFModel for $55.00 USD

Screenshot-2024-06-18-at-20.40.58.jpg

This kit is one which I think will be included with CAF's La Renommee kit at some stage. It is possible it's available as an extra, should you wish to either buy it as a separate project, or for completion of La Renommee. In the near future, I'll also be taking a look at the full kit of La Renommee herself. Until then, let's look at this separate, related project. This kit is packaged into one of CAF's smaller corrugated boxes, with the product label on the top box flap. The kit itself is 190mm long when complete, and features a full frame construction, as per the real vessel. Inside the box, the A4-sheet instructions are wrapped around the various parts packets. The parts sheets themselves are then sealed within a tough, clear plastic wrap which further protects the parts. I do know from experience that it's worth leaving your parts in the wrap for a few days before opening them. I once unwrapped a pack as soon as it arrived and over the next hours, the sheets warped slightly. I've learned my lesson so you don't have to. The overall quality of the parts is extremely good, with very little in the way of laser blowback on the reverse of the sheets. What there is will be easy to lightly sand away.

DSC_0519.jpg

DSC_0520.jpg

Being a POF (plank on frame) kit, the model is constructed in a build jig. The parts below are those for building that jig. The parts are very self-explanatory, and you'll also see the numbered frame notches on the upper face. 

DSC_0521.jpg

The frames consist of multiple parts that much be assembled. This sheet of cherry wood holds all of those parts. These will be assembled within an acrylic jig which we'll see shortly. 

DSC_0525.jpg

All of the planks on this boat, are supplied as pre-cut/shaped parts, so if you take your time with this build, then all of these will fit without stealers or other remedial action needed. There is both external and internal hull planking on these sheets. Note that they are the same, just mirrored so they fit 'per side'.

DSC_0527.jpg

Most of the internal fitting out parts of this project are to be found here, such an inner strakes for planking up to, thwarts, decks etc. The part engraving is also very good and will look nice under varnish or oil.

DSC_0526.jpg

When the build starts, the keel and rear bulkhead are  first assembled and then all is slotted into the jig. The keel is provided as upper and lower parts. Once you sit the completed frames into their respective slots in the lower keep (and within the slots on the jig upper face, the the upper keel is fitted, trapping the frames in situ. The long parts on 1F, are the wales.

DSC_0528.jpg

The longboat's gunwales are evident here. These are provided as two parts per side due to the step in the side profile of the longboat. Several lower transverse frame sections are also seen. 

DSC_0529.jpg

Brass wire, tube and photo-etc are provided for detail parts. I'm pretty sure that the small length of dowel is used to align the mat steps, but I could be wrong.

DSC_0530.jpg

Several packets are also included. These are short lengths of brass rod, brass nails (now copper as stated on packs), 3D rudder tiller, and brass belaying pins.

DSC_0531.jpg

The frames have a very clever system of assembly. First, you sit the blank sheet on the bottom of the stack, then fit frame #A on top of this and add the parts to the shaped hollows. Corresponding frame #C then sits on top of this, all aligned by pegs at the frame corners, and the next layer of frame parts are glued into place. Acrylic sheet all around the frames means that the wood glue (NOT SUPERGLUE!!) will not adhere to it, and the completed frames can easily be removed from the jig and then cleaned up before assembly to the keel.

DSC_0523.jpg

DSC_0524.jpg

Instructions

These are very self-explanatory. When I come to build this boat, I'll likely create something similar to my VM build logs.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Screenshot-2024-06-18-at-20.41.30.jpg

CAF Assembly photos

Screenshot-2024-06-18-at-20.39.35.jpg

Screenshot-2024-06-18-at-20.39.47.jpg

Screenshot-2024-06-18-at-20.40.06.jpg

Screenshot-2024-06-18-at-20.52.00.jpg

Conclusion

A lovely little kit from CAF and I consider it to be excellent value for money. It all looks very buildable, but I'm in no doubt that you'll really need to take care and time when building. I don't think this will be too easy a project, so wouldn't recommend it to someone who is fairly new to the hobby, however I do think it looks a great little kit, and I'd love to see some build logs on MSW of this one.

My sincere thanks to CAF Model for sending this kit over for review on MSW.

caflogo.jpg.b3df71d3ac2a0ca28084c3338783d68c.jpg.418291583826c9c52ead5657b0f50741.jpg