Spanish Galleon 1607 by PvG Aussie - Imai Kagaku - 1/100 - PLASTIC

"Flagship of the Golden Fleet that bore home fabled treasures of the New World."

This kit was originally released in 1979.

image.thumb.jpeg.aadc4eac2b3f7e10b8b26875cc9033ad.jpeg

PvG Aussie (Peter) Started modelling Jan 2022.  Joined MSW March 2024. Quote: Rome wasn't built in a day!

Current Build:  MS Sibajak 1928 - PvG Aussie (1:1150) BOTTLE

Past Builds:       Artesania Latina (AL) Belem   (1:75),  AL Vasa (1:65)  , Scratch build Australia II SIB (1:225), AL Bluenose II (1:75)  AL Bounty (1:48),  AL Endeavour (1:65)

Trumpeter Bismarck (1:200),  Border Models Avro Lancaster Bomber (1:32),  AL Fokker Dr1 (1:16), Das Werk WWI German U-Boat SM U-9 (1:72)

Scratch build HMS Victory SIB (1:530), Wolfpack PBY-3 Catalina (1;72) PLUS  approx 13 more ships in bottles

• The title was changed to Spanish Galleon 1607 by PvG Aussie - Imai Kagaku - 1/100 - PLASTIC

Greetings to everyone on the start of this new build.

I've spent the last three days doing my research and have to start by acknowledging the wonderful work done by @kirill4 and @Ferrus Manus regarding their versions of this same model. After seeing their work, I can see why I was able to buy this kit at a very reasonable price. Obviously, the previous owner was frightened off by the work of these two, in particular the 'grand master' Kirill!

Having said that I would like to quote Kirilli when he wrote, "I think it makes sense to carefully study the techniques of colleagues, those works that you like and use them in your practice." With his and Ferrus' permission I plan to do just that. At least to a limited extent.

Their experience suggests that I should consider:

• the intricate painting of patterns on the hull,
  • cloth sails,
  • my own shrouds and ratlines 😓, and
  • make my own flags.

I hope I can create a great model which even partly reflects some of the excellent work done before.

I will start with the simple task of priming parts in preparation for the challenging paint jobs.

Cheers,

Ps. Thanks to Ferrus for yesterday's offer of help.

Edited by PvG Aussie

PvG Aussie (Peter) Started modelling Jan 2022.  Joined MSW March 2024. Quote: Rome wasn't built in a day!

Past Builds:       Artesania Latina (AL) Belem   (1:75),  AL Vasa (1:65)  , Scratch build Australia II SIB (1:225), AL Bluenose II (1:75)  AL Bounty (1:48),  AL Endeavour (1:65)

Trumpeter Bismarck (1:200),  Border Models Avro Lancaster Bomber (1:32),  AL Fokker Dr1 (1:16), Das Werk WWI German U-Boat SM U-9 (1:72)

Scratch build HMS Victory SIB (1:530), Wolfpack PBY-3 Catalina (1;72) PLUS  approx 13 more ships in bottles

Good day,

Dear Peter,

Wish You all the Best and interesting works , findings and positive emotions during building this model!

This kit , by my opinion, offers very wide range of posibilities , how it could be assembled!:)))

When I began my version, I was a few years under impression of this work, one of our german colleques

https://www.wettringer-modellbauforum.de/forum/index.php?page=Thread&postID=600158&highlight=Galleon#post600158

Wish You All the Best!

Kirill

Edited by kirill4

You can make silkspan sails look realistic for this model, and it would be more scale-accurate than cloth at 1/100. However, it would take some effort. I suggest using an actual tutorial instead of looking at how I do mine, as I recognize mine could be better. I wish I had done my own shrouds and ratlines for mine. Maybe I'll do this same model again someday.

Edited by Ferrus Manus

Another piece of advice is to decide early on which "version" of the kit you intend to replicate. If you do a version of the galleon from the Spanish Armada, it will look significantly different than a galleon from 1607. This will affect the paint job and parts of the rigging. The primary sources you intend to use will also be different. I personally prefer the "1607" version better, but the choice is yours. 

Outside of obvious design differences driven by a difference in the intended look of the model, if Kirill has done something significantly different than I have, you should probably default to his techniques. For example, the painting of lines, the use of rope coils, etc. 

Edited by Ferrus Manus

Hi Ferrus, I think I will stick with the 1607 version. That way I can't waver too far from the instructions and appearance of the box. 

Thanks, Peter.

Good day,

Dear Peter,

Consider replacement ,in advance, if necessary, some of "critical" parts of spars - I replaced bowsprit for wooden stick( for artist brush handle of suitable size)...

the rest of spars ( masts and yards)in my kit ( it was chinese kit in my case) were of suitable hardness and I left them w/o replacement.

All the best!

Kirill

Thank you Kirill for your suggestions. I'll make a note of this and reconsider when I get to that part of my build.

Cheers,

Peter     🙂

Good luck,  this will be great to follow. 

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum