Mighty Mite by BMT - FINISHED - Nauticurso - 1:64 - Steam Powered Harbor Tug - NCC (Navy-Curtis Craft)

Short story on why a tug.

Years ago, my wife befriended one of her coworkers living in the next state.  Despite my initial hesitation, we ended up socializing with them and their husbands.  To my surprise, I discovered that her friend's husband owned a towing company.

I needed to understand the towing company's services.  I thought they only towed vehicles.  At the time, I was in the transportation and distribution business, and I saw the potential for collaboration between a towing company and a major transportation company.

To my surprise, after he finished laughing at me, he mentioned that he was in the tugboat business, specializing in ship docking, general harbor towing, coastal towing, and bulk transportation. I had no idea what that involved.

After 35+ years of friendship, I noticed he did not have a model tugboat in their house. It would be a nice surprise, but then there might be a reason why they do not have one.

Anyway, here we go…

IMG_5110.thumb.jpg.2f06c5d7aa3e1dded3f0149bbd5760d9.jpgIMG_5111.thumb.jpg.c560b2d5a1f7b3436d5167aeac3e7097.jpgIMG_5109.thumb.jpg.e23677c4d40b957f0626f5c405731186.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I changed the build process. Instead of gluing all the frames into the building board, I glued frames 1 and 2 into the keel and the rest into the building board. This method worked better for me. Planking was typical; however, soaking the planking was necessary, even though it was not mentioned in the assembly instructions.

As this is my seventh build, I understand fairing the hull well. However, I still struggle to correct it so that all planks lie as they should. I have been reading and watching videos, but I am still finding it difficult to grasp the visual aspect of it.

Anyway, the planking is all done and sanded, the deck is in place, and the gunwale is set. The hull needs resanding and painting, as I am unhappy with the color.   I may use the same hull color as I did for my Harriet Lane.

The wheelhouse is being repaired as I carefully fold the material around the wheelhouse floor following the assembly instructions. You know what happened: It cracked. I should have been more careful and soaked it first; now it's drying.

We'll see what happens in the next day or two.

IMG_5124.jpg

IMG_5128.jpg

IMG_5129.jpg

IMG_5152.jpg

IMG_5156.jpg

IMG_5143.jpg

I am enjoying the build. This is the first time I’ve used CA medium for most of the gluing applications. As it sets faster, it allows me to move to another parts quicker. However, the white glue allows repositioning before it dries.  I think the white glue is better for my use.IMG_5158.thumb.jpeg.c9a95b67dd84c3839347157b173fe9c8.jpeg

IMG_5156.jpeg

IMG_5159.jpeg

IMG_5162.jpeg

IMG_5163.jpeg

IMG_5161.jpeg

IMG_5164.jpeg

IMG_5167.jpeg

IMG_5168.jpeg

IMG_5169.jpeg

IMG_5170.jpeg

IMG_5171.jpeg

22 hours ago, BMT said:

I am enjoying the build. This is the first time I’ve used CA medium for most of the gluing applications. As it sets faster, it allows me to move to another parts quicker. However, the white glue allows repositioning before it dries.  I think the white glue is better for my use.

IMG_5156.jpeg

IMG_5159.jpeg

IMG_5162.jpeg

IMG_5163.jpeg

IMG_5161.jpeg

IMG_5164.jpeg

IMG_5167.jpeg

IMG_5168.jpeg

IMG_5169.jpeg

IMG_5170.jpeg

IMG_5171.jpeg

Build completed!    A couple of things that could've been cleaner, I still struggle with the correct putty to use or even whos paint to use.  

Bottom line for me was I enjoyed the build.  

IMG_5175.jpg

IMG_5176.jpg

IMG_5177.jpg

IMG_5178.jpg

IMG_5179.jpg