Bireme by Loracs - Amati - 1:35 - Greek Warship c.480 B.C.

New build: Initiating a new build as a side project while finishing rigging the HMS Revenge.  I was looking for something interesting, not too big and not with too small protruding parts (like cannon doors, shrouds, etc..).  The reason: it will be a small Christmas gift to my father of 93 and will need to be shipped across the country.

The materials are pretty much standard Amati. Good, but not overboard.  This is what I was expecting.  I started by removing all the charring using the Paasche ER-1S air eraser - Baking Soda.  It's very gentle on wood and it does a pretty good job.  The first two pictures provide an example of the results. Two different bulkheads as before-after pictures.

The remaining shots give an idea of the proportion and design (dry fitting).  I find this model elegant.

image.thumb.jpeg.e18de4da4e2d3153b8be12712b423264.jpeg

IMG_2470.jpeg

IMG_2469.jpeg

IMG_2478.jpeg

IMG_2477.jpeg

IMG_2479.jpeg

Completed Build: Chinese Pirate Junk

Current Build: HMS Revenge

Current Build: Bireme, Greek Warship

Good luck with this build,  I will be on the popcorn section cheering you on.:)

Bob M.

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:         The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,   Amati } Hannah Ship in a Bottle:Santa Maria : LA  Pinta : La Nana : The Mayflower : Viking Ship Drakkar  The King Of the Mississippi  Artesania Latina  1:80 

Current Build: Royal Yacht, Duchess of Kingston-Vanguard Models :)

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Bulkhead and internal deck: The bireme kit from Amati is good so far with one exception: poor documentation. The two plans provided are ok but at times, more details would have been nice.  BUT HEY!  This is an opportunity for me to have a more detailed build log.  

A) Frames: There is little play between the bulkheads and the keel, maybe 1mm or less. I was careful when I glued the bullheads to push them in one direction for good contact at least on one side.  Be consistent, all on the same side.

B) Bulkhead: the visible side of the bulkheads has to be fixed, not pretty.  The upper edge was planked with some spare strips I had in hand. I am not sure how much excess is included in the kit.  Planks are curved with a hot iron (plank binder), and installed in pairs. Cut the first half to length to the middle on the bulkhead and glue. After drying, cut the second half precisely to length and installed... perfect joints.

C) Internal deck: The bias introduced at the junction of the bulkheads and keel (see above) had a slight impact on the initial deck planking.  The vertical section is a little off center to the keel. Two planks were used for alignment before I glued the middle section. The supplier strips at 3mm were a little short in width.  I then used spare strips of 4mm walnut.  Furthermore, it adds contrast to the deck.  The deck was then built with strips cut every 5-bulkheads (10cm or 4 inch), for a length of approximately 15-18 ft real size. You just have to be careful that the junctions are on the bulkheads.  Note: Don't forget the support strips at the bow and stern.

D) Vertical beams: The vertical beams will be visible once built.  This means the plywood ends too... can't have that.  This is where my new Ultimation slicer shined. Repeated cuts can be made easily and mostly reproducibly... Small strips were cut 0.2-0.3mm longer and pushed into position with slight force... it makes good joints.

Note: use glue very sparingly... you don't want excess, no "blob" or staining.

That's it, folks!

IMG_2512.jpeg

IMG_2514.jpeg

IMG_2520.jpeg

IMG_2526.jpeg

IMG_2527.jpeg

IMG_2521.jpeg

IMG_2522.jpeg

IMG_2523.jpeg

Edited by Loracs

Benches: the interior benches are cut to size with an angle of 10 degrees, cut-true on one side for the bulkhead.  Once glued into place, a small 1x1mm border is added primarily to add some relief and finish.

Interior Walls: Few sections of the interior (visible from the outside) were planked with walnut strips. Prior to cutting, the upper side of the strip was rounded by sanding, which provides slightly more relief to the walls.

Balsa fillers: Started on balsa fillers to the bow and stern. This is pretty much required for this model and is NOT included in the kit.  You are left own.  Here are a couple pictures of the work in-progress.  It will still need dry fitting and tweaking.

IMG_2530.jpeg

IMG_2531.jpeg

IMG_2532.jpeg

IMG_2535.jpeg

IMG_2537.jpeg

IMG_2538.jpeg

IMG_2544.jpeg

IMG_2545.jpeg

Edited by Loracs