HMS Bounty by k-slak - Constructo - 1:50

HMS Bounty 1:50 has been my third wood boat/ship build but my first large multi-mast tall ship. Its been a fight at certain points of the build and always find the directions helpful but much more vague than I desire. 3 pages to build an entire board seems too little and the equivalent of "plank the boat" seems to be much to simple to state than how challenging it is to actually plank the boat. 

What is done so far: hull, deck and primary rigging is now complete. I'll see how to make a album that shows the long term progress to now (new and still figuring this platform out). 

Whats next: making sails, rigging spars and attaching to masts. 

I am currently puzzled by the "step by step view in the plans" thats written in the instruction book when there is no notes of what comes before another or even if one should work bow to stern or other way as well as understanding when is specific to one side or duplicated on both sides. I'm having to wing it which isn't how I flow. Any suggestions on this part would be helpful. 

This is HMS Bounty Kit from Constructo 1:50 Scale. I started this project in last August 2023. Due to work schedule and that work on the ship can't really be done (at least for me) in small time blocks, I only get to work on it on the weekends when there isn't other things going on. There have been times where I hit big struggles and stepped away for multiple weeks (such as between hull and mast building). (Side Note: The paint sets in the background of my photos are my spouses, who does plastic model building. We share project building spaces so there is a little of his paint inventory on my work bench)

I've struggled with the instructions from Constructo. At times they were written very well while other times they were vague. The instructions don't refer to plates in the plan set which I think would be really helpful. The last part is for rigging and the instructions just said refer to the step by step in the plan set. Well there is no numbers related to steps and the assumption of working left to right and top to bottom for "steps" but it's unclear if things are mirrored nor is there a "other side" or bow, stern view to refer to. I think I've made good decisions on interpretation along the way based on photos and random videos I have been able to find online. I do wish there were more photos of the rigging and cross sections of the ship I could refer to but we all do what we can. 

Mast building hack (from a beginner) - this likely is what everyone else already knows but without a lathe and not wanting to spend hours sanding I was able to use a hand size planer to taper the mast sections. Placing the planer at an 45 degree angle to the mat and pushing toward the end while my other hand held the end and rolled the dowel. Once you are close I finished the rounding and symmetry with a small block sander. So effective and saved me so much time. 

Cradles throughout the build: In the beginning I used no cradle at all and when I needed some stability or support I actually used a rice sack I made a long time ago as a heat pack. It's great in that it can be scrunched, folded, and situated to fit the shape of the support needed. Once the Keel was on I switched to a keel clamp cradle. This worked well until once day while shifting the base the pivot point got stuck and when giving it some extra ump it snapped the keel straight off the hull (lots of cuss words and some crying occurred as I felt like the ship was ruined). After the keep repair my spouse purchased me a "dry dock" like cradle and I've used that since. All three methods have been useful at certain points in the build and wouldn't now work for all the stages.

I've learned a LOT along the way and are just getting into the install of the spars. I'll get to all of that in a later post. Since I just joined I wanted to provide some background and pictures of my journey to this point. I look forward to my future builds and sharing my struggles, questions, ad triumphs along the way. 

20230904_181455.jpg

20230930_165352.jpg

20240127_170229.jpg

20240310_154715.jpg

20240311_200234.jpg

20240717_052847.jpg

20240804_155028.jpg

• The title was changed to HMS Bounty by k-slak - Constructo - 1:50

Welcome to MSW!

Some people prefer to rig fore to aft.  Others, just the opposite.  A good rule of thumb for deciding whether a line is found port and starboard vs. one side only is to consider what each line is used for.  

As far as making masts, take a look at this.  Scroll down to installment 20.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     Utrecht-1742

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale      Echo Cross Section   NRG Rigging Project 

Utrecht-1742

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

I've been reading your build log with interest.  Very clean and neat work.  The multiple colors of the woods that you used seems to beg for an oil finish such as linseed oil or tung oil.  

Noticed that your Bounty build log somehow got into the forum for ships launched from 1900 to present.  Perhaps ccoyle or one of the other MSW administrators will be able to move it for you to the proper forum for ships launched in the late 18th century.  That away others will be able to find your build log a well.

Keep up the good work and thank you for sharing your Bounty build with us.

Wawona 59

John

Next Project: 18th Century Pinnace

Indefinite Hold for the future:  1/96 Flying Fish, Model Shipways

Wish list for "Seattle Connection" builds:  1/96 Lumber Schooner Wawona, 1/96 Down Easter St. Paul, 1/32 Hydroplane Slo-Mo-Shun IV, 1/96 M.V. Kalakala, 1/96 Virginia V, 1/96 Arthur Foss tug, 1/64 Duwamish cedar dugout canoe, 1/232 USS Olympia

I like the look of it as well! If you were to go for an accurate look, the ship would need to be painted in its entirety. You should look for primary sources as well as the replica if you intend to do this. As for the rigging, I tend to rig square-rigged vessels starting from the centerline and moving outward. There are plenty of rigging diagrams on MSW for the Bounty. Another source I have that might be helpful to you is "The Anatomy of Nelson's Ships" by C. Nepean Longridge, a book explaining the construction of 18th century British square-rigged naval ships. 

Rigging! Rat lines finished up a few weeks ago. This last weekend tackled the lines between the masts. I'm sure I don't have angles right but I was in the space of "this is what it is given its my first full ship and did my best to follow the directions." I have already learned so much from reviewing everyone else's builds that I'm excited to do it more accurately on my next build. 

As mentioned in my last post I am at a stopping point as I figure out what I am going to do with the sails. Thank you to everyone who has already helped. Hope to make a decision and move forward with sails by this weekend. 

20240921_192851.jpg

20240921_192933.jpg

20240921_192950.jpg

17273134737138962104969663497585.jpg

Very nice work, it looks awesome      :cheers:                      Bob  M.

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:         The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,   Amati } Hannah Ship in a Bottle:Santa Maria : LA  Pinta : La Nana : The Mayflower : Viking Ship Drakkar  The King Of the Mississippi  Artesania Latina  1:80 

Current Build: Royal Yacht, Duchess of Kingston-Vanguard Models :)