President by Cap'n Jack - Sergal/Mantua

• 1 month later...

So I started this a while ago and I'll put the pictures I have thus far.

Your comments would be most welcomed!!

Having started to plank the frame I discovered an error and had to strip several rows off the hull.

This caused a little damage which has been repaired.

Now - how do I post photos again??

The building of the hull took ages - I couldnt get to grips with the falring edges of the planks and the need to cut in etc.

The biggest single challenge was the bow - seen here.

I elected to bend the wood in situ - having put it through a bending tool having left it in very hot water for a few minutes to soften - and hold it in place.

post-7930-0-61502800-1388057313_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cap'n Jack

So here the trail dries up.  I have had a computer rebuild and my images appear to have been lost - the log from this site were also lost.

So I'm now here.

The hull first layer is complete.  I learned that when glueing strips it is best to run a strip of glue along the full length - it adds so much strength to the hull.

There are a few cracks and weakness' here and there.  I intend (and have already) to fill some of the larger holes left as I have NO idea how else to deal with them.  I am then going to use a waterede down PVA glue to work in between the planks and firm up the inner hull before looking at sanding down to remove the ears (where they exist).

I will post a question but here goes for anyone looking at this build. How "sheer" does the hull need to be to get a good finish with the second layer? Perfect??  Nearly perfect.  0.5mm thickness doesnt buy much tolerance and I'd rather not rush!!

Cheers for looking folks.

post-7930-0-54273100-1388062282_thumb.jpg

post-7930-0-14194300-1388062300_thumb.jpg

post-7930-0-47283000-1388062500_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cap'n Jack

Hi Cap'n Jack,

Good work on the first planking, just finishing the President myself. I've only done two models so far, but the advise I was given on here was, that the better the finish on your first layer, the easier and better your second planking would be. Will be keeping an eye on your progress.

Cheers

Stuart.

hello there Cap'n Jack,

planking can be such a trial,  especially with this style of hull.......noting the cut of the mid ship.   some folks will use filler to remedy the gaps,  but it's not a solid rule of thumb,  especially if the gaps are small.  the hull should be smooth.......rounding at the bow and the contour of the stern.   there is a little bulging at the bow.....not enough faring at these ribs,  but they should round out with little problem.

I saw the problem you had with the bow planking at first.......wasn't sure I had seen all the pictures,  so I didn't post.  as I see,  you progressed much further.   .5 mm planking is good........what I did with my Gothenborg build,  was to first locate where the rails and wales were to be,  then fill in in between.  these parts are probably 1.8 mm thick.......this will give a much natural protrusion along the hull.  

yes,  contour of the counter and transom is a must.   when you do the second planking,  it will go much better for you.   I was looking at your decking........is there a gun deck?  it looks like there is,   but I can't be sure.   like mine,  it looks like you'll be doing simulated gun port lids.   not a bad thing........but they would look better if they didn't protrude from the hull {like mine do} :)   your off to a good start.....

the second planking should make you smile ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 1 month later...

Has it really been 2 months?

I've spent a while sanding the hull and working the planks to try for a smoother line - I've also tried to remove the problems at the Bow.

Hull is now covered in a 3:1 PVA/ water mix to try and firm up some of the planking a give the 2nd layer more chance of a cleaner finish.

Picture to follow.

probably one of the moderators can fix that for you.   my camera does that........I always have to turn at least one or two :D :D   your hull looks really good........nice to see your almost ready  ;)   if your using a sanding block,  keep a close eye on the bulwark edges and stern contours.   you don't want to round off any squared edges.  look forward in seeing more.  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Looks great Cap'n Jack, your's puts mine to shame! Haha

I've just got the Walnut layer of planks on my model. It's a breeze getting them on to a smooth hull, I split my planking in to quarters, Port and Starboard underwater profiles, and Port and Starboard Topsides, as I found it was easiest to attempt to scale the waterline length off the plans and set about planking down each side, then eventually planking up from that datum point too. The walnut strips looked really dry when I first looked at them, so I left all the planks to saok in a bucket of water for at least 24 hours. B)

I'm now at the point of putting the rubbing strakes on - which has proven to be a headache without a strip bender. So again, there will have to be a tiny bit of sanding required there! Woohoo!

Current Build:

Caldercraft HM Cutter Sherbourne Kit Bash - Scale 1:64 - http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10547-hm-cutter-sherbourne-by-jonnyamy-caldercraft-kit-bash-scale-164/#entry317289

!!!ON HOLD!!! Mantura/Sergal HMS President - Scale 1:60 - http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/5589-hms-president-by-jonnyamy-circa-1760-sergal-160/

In the Pipeline:

18th Century Longboat - Scale 1;48 - - http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/11273-18th-century-longboat-model-shipways-by-jonnyamy/

Completed Builds:

40 Foot Gaff Cutter - Solid Hull Concept Model

Caldercrafter HM Mortar Vessel Convulsion - Scale 1:64 - http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8593-hm-mortor-vessel-convulsion-by-jonnyamy/

SCRATCH BUILD - Vagabond 19 foot Sloop - Scale 1:20 - http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10172-vagabond-19-6-keel-sloop-pob-scale-120-by-jonnyamy-small/#entry302726

Hi Cap'n Jack

Glad to see you have posted your log. Your pics reminded me that you need to sand down the planking at the stern to fair it in with the stern post. If you don't when you add the second planking and try to fit the rudder you will find the iron work is not wide enough. Guess how I know? You don't get that in the instructions. See the "how to" section on creating a bearding line when planking

Edited by Craigie65

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

Popeye - top tips about the rounding of the bulwark and stern contours. I am using a block and have been quite conscious of those areas!

Jonny - you're too kind!! I've started using filler to create the smooth hull that I've been told to aim for - you'll see soon, I'm sure, the volume of filler that I need!

Craig - thanks for the direction. I'll check the forum posts on bearding line (quote as I don't know what one is!). And I'll also have a look at the rudder attachments to figure the future challenges!

Cheers all. I'm off for an evening of light sanding!!

Edited by Cap'n Jack

Hi I am not vey good with the terminology :( the iron straps are called Gudgeon Straps which attach to the hull and rudder pintle straps which attach, unsurprisingly to the rudder!

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

• 3 weeks later...

So, I had a brain fart.

Trying to get the hull as smooth as possible so that the outer planking goes on as easily and neatly as possible.

I decided - as this is a learning thing right - to try two methods of filling the minor gaps that existed between the planks, often resultant from the ears (is that even the right term!)

Any how - I filed the port side gaps with minimal filler and starboard got, you guessed it, caked on.

Once sanded though the results were similar so I think that the better method was minimal approach - lesson learned!

Edited by Cap'n Jack

So, I had a brain fart.

Trying to get the hull as smooth as possible so that the outer planking goes on as easily and neatly as possible.

I decided - as this is a learning thing right - to try two methods of filling the minor gaps that existed between the planks, often resultant from the ears (is that even the right term!)

Any how - I filed the port side gaps with minimal filler and starboard got, you guessed it, caked on.

Once sanded though the results were similar so I think that the better method was minimal approach - lesson learned!

Cap'n Jack,

The way you did it is similar to the way I filled the gaps on my HMS President.

Although, I caked the hull in filler, but I wiped most of it off with a damp cloth, that way the filler was in the gaps and a very thin layer was on top of the wood. Then I sanded down the hull and it looked absolutely beautiful!

Current Build:

Caldercraft HM Cutter Sherbourne Kit Bash - Scale 1:64 - http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10547-hm-cutter-sherbourne-by-jonnyamy-caldercraft-kit-bash-scale-164/#entry317289

!!!ON HOLD!!! Mantura/Sergal HMS President - Scale 1:60 - http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/5589-hms-president-by-jonnyamy-circa-1760-sergal-160/

In the Pipeline:

18th Century Longboat - Scale 1;48 - - http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/11273-18th-century-longboat-model-shipways-by-jonnyamy/

Completed Builds:

40 Foot Gaff Cutter - Solid Hull Concept Model

Caldercrafter HM Mortar Vessel Convulsion - Scale 1:64 - http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8593-hm-mortor-vessel-convulsion-by-jonnyamy/

SCRATCH BUILD - Vagabond 19 foot Sloop - Scale 1:20 - http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10172-vagabond-19-6-keel-sloop-pob-scale-120-by-jonnyamy-small/#entry302726

I use a water based filler,   and I thin it down to a thick cream,  instead of the consistency of paste.   I use an auto body filler spreader to apply it,  so it fills in the gaps,  but doesn't leave a lot on the surface.  sanding takes half the time......a lot easier on the arm ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: