Photo etch bending tool ?

captainscott

Scott:

This tool or one like it makes working with photo etch so much easier and precise that I wouldn't work without it.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

I fully agree with kurtvd19. I use a tool similar to the one on the photo. When you use photo etched parts - a MUST HAVE!

Cheerio

Max :10_1_10:

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

Ditto....worth the investment.

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

I never have used one of those tools - there are times I wish I had! However, I just use razor blade and one of those 6" metal rulers. Honestly, this combination has worked well enough that I couldn't justify the cost. For the round/circular items, I just find an item the approximate size and wrap the PE around it. Call me cheap, I guess!

• 9 months later...

I have a slightly longer version of the bender Captain Scott shows and I love it. The edge where the bending takes place is rather sharp which allows you to be VERY accurate where you place your bends. I use a single edge razor blade slipped under the PE to make the bend once it is securely in place in the bender.

Jim L

What we ever hope to do with ease, we must learn first to do with diligence. - Samuel Johnson

On the Building Ways:                           Launched:                                                 Contracts Signed:                    Member:

The Nautical Research Guild

The US Naval Institute

I'm (slowly) building  a 1/300 brig from Langton Miniatures. Lots of photo-etch (sails, shrouds etc). Having tried to bend some PE sails before using steel rule etc, with varying results, I searched and found the tools at the link.

I bought the folding tools. What a difference. I can thoroughly recommend  them. I have since bought the PE saws as well.

http://www.radubstore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=77_79

Cheers

Al