US Brig Syren by DaveG - Model Shipways - 1:64

And so it begins...

I recently decided to get back into model shipbuilding, looked at a bunch of build logs, and ordered a Syren kit.  After looking at the kit contents and the instructions, I thought it might be a good idea to get a simpler kit for practice.  So, while deciding on a good (easier) kit, I may as well start on the Syren.  I mean what could go wrong?  

The first page went pretty well.  At one page of instructions per day, I should be finished by summer.

post-9891-0-01306200-1391534959_thumb.jpg

Your off to a nice start but I would't count on a page of instructions a day though. As you get into it you will slow right down as the building gets more complex. Look and see how long some of the build logs run for with expierenced builders. Good luck and have fun.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

If there are any Syreners out there, does it look like the figurehead will interfere with the cheek pieces?  It seems that when she posed for the plans, she had her tail flipped up, but let it droop when posing for the sculptor.

Skirting a lee shore,

Dave

post-9891-0-58582100-1391624445_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Once you have the cheeks in place you need to fine-tune position and perhaps tail shape of the figurehead anyway. It should be no problem to (carefully) bend it a little bit if needed. Or even better - make your own figurehead :)

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Well, either I've been making progress, or my mistakes have become irretrievable, depending on perspective... bulkheads and filler blocks are in.  I noticed everyone else has put their fillers against the center, I put my scrap wood farther out, thinking it would help during fairing.  

post-9891-0-69720500-1393613523_thumb.jpg

post-9891-0-65651500-1393613524_thumb.jpg

I recently got an AL Swift (is that the most common model on MSW?) to be my "practice model".  I won't stop working on the Syren, but I'll try to stay a couple of steps ahead, learning from my mistakes on the Swift.  Maybe I shouldn't worry about making the same mistakes twice, when there's an infinity of new ones out there waiting for me.

I suppose I should start a Swift log.

Dave

post-9891-0-25564700-1393614317_thumb.jpg