Bluenose II by d'brat - Artesania Latina

After months of lurking it's time to jump in. My lovely bride gave me this model for my birthday even though I had not gotten very far on the one she had given me the prior year (HMS Supply/1788 aldo AL). Posting progress here will, hopefully, keep me from being sidetracked so often onto other projects.

post-10375-0-96785700-1391975464_thumb.jpg

post-10375-0-42151200-1391975466_thumb.jpg

post-10375-0-49197800-1391975467_thumb.jpg

Two instruction manuals - 56 pages (in 7 languages) for the hull and a large format, 22 page one for the masts and rigging.

post-10375-0-25246500-1391975611_thumb.jpg

post-10375-0-66492800-1391975612_thumb.jpg

post-10375-0-80274800-1391975613_thumb.jpg

post-10375-0-24104700-1391975615_thumb.jpg

post-10375-0-74560000-1391975616_thumb.jpg

post-10375-0-61834500-1391975617_thumb.jpg

Too bad I can't read all 7 languages to see if they are different.

D'Brat

Current Build - Bluenose II - AL

In the wings - HMS Supply - AL

Can't judge to quality of the wood until I start the build but the contents of the box along with the detail of the fittings seems to be very complete for an intermediate level kit.

post-10375-0-76361600-1391976008_thumb.jpg

post-10375-0-79099800-1391976009_thumb.jpg

post-10375-0-95687100-1391976010_thumb.jpg

post-10375-0-00471900-1391976012_thumb.jpg

post-10375-0-32245700-1391976006_thumb.jpg

It looks like there is a slight bend to the backbone but an assembly jig will set that straight through framing and decking.

post-10375-0-49944500-1391976007_thumb.jpg

D'Brat

Welcome aboard!

I literally just finished a 1:100 scale model of the Bluenose by Model Shipways.  Speaking from the experience I had with that model I'm sure you're going to enjoy building the Bluenose II.

I look forward to following your build.

Jack

Jack

Builds:

Bluenose  (Model Shipways 1:100)

Cutty Sark (Mini Mamoli)

Mayflower (Model Shipways)

Queen Anne's Revenge

Ghostbusters Proton Pack

i have one waiting to be built. yes, it does look like a nice kit.

please don't just publish the end results, the glitches encountered and info on how you get past them will be of great interest!

Edited by jbford

The actual Bluenose II is the replica built in 1963 of the original 1921 Bluenose so the II kit has all of the updates that are on the new version including double propshafts and different deck fittings.  I was planning on leaving off the shafts and props since they look out of place on the sleek hull. I may also change fittings to look closer to the original schooner to my untrained eye.

D'Brat

I believe that the props, as well as other details, have been built into the Bluenose II because of U.S. Coast Guard Regulations.  These had to be added in order to receive a seaworthy certification.  It's the same situation I saw with the San Salvador that the San Diego Maritime Museum is building.  They had to add all the updates to have it certified.

I would think that with some kit bashing you could make it look more like the original Bluenose if that's your intention.

Jack

Builds:

Cutty Sark (Mini Mamoli)

Queen Anne's Revenge

Ghostbusters Proton Pack

This site has many photos of the original schooner taken in 1940 during its declining years. After I finish building the hull these shots will help me decide what to change on the kit of the II. Or, more likely, if my modeling skills have declined too much I will just have to work with what I have in the box.

http://novascotia.ca/nsarm/virtual/bluenose/

Sorry if this has shown up on someone's build log before but I'm still a newbie at this.

D'Brat

That particular site provided me with a great deal of information when I built my Bluenose.  I used every photo to help augment the kit and add various parts that were not in the kit or instructions.

Get all the photos you can.

Jack

Builds:

Cutty Sark (Mini Mamoli)

Queen Anne's Revenge

Ghostbusters Proton Pack

Hey d'brat...   I too am currently building the Bluenose (original 1921).  It's my first build and will post a build log soon.  So far the keel and bulkheads are complete and I will be planking shortly.  Started before I found this forum.  Kit is a Model Shipway's and online it was shown as Bluenose II, however, the kit I received was the orginal.  Which actually I prefer.  It is 1:64 scale.  Will look in on your progress from time to time.  Good luck!

Poppi

After reading the manuals a few times I finally started on the actual assembly. The laser cut framing was very cleanly done and only took a few pushes with the knife to cut the little tabs that held the pieces to the large sheet.

I  particularly like that every piece is numbered and the false keel is numbered where each piece goes. That makes assembly almost foolproof. We'll see how far "almost" goes in the future.

post-10375-0-13445300-1392486614_thumb.jpg

The central false keep does have a curve in it but does not seem to have a twist. That piece was both curved and twisted on my HMS Supply kit so I built up a little support from scrap MDF to hold it straight during frame and deck gluing and the initial planking.

post-10375-0-54548200-1392486782_thumb.jpg

post-10375-0-61640800-1392486814_thumb.jpg

post-10375-0-83731500-1392486815_thumb.jpg

When the pieces are dry-fitted the curve is still there so I think i will make up another holder before I start gluing.

post-10375-0-54982900-1392486812_thumb.jpg

The other Bluenose logs on the site are not the Artesania Latina versions but I will be going over them as I plod along and read everyone's helpful suggestions. If I come across anything that seems unique to the AL kit I will call for help

Now off to work on the weekend honey-do list.

D'Brat

• 2 months later...

Hello d'brat , i think you 'll enjoy the construction of the particular kit. I'm finishing the same kit so if you need anything ,let me know. Take care .

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

Thank you. Your build looks great.  I have not been able to work on my for a while but hope to be back at the "shipyard" soon. I'm sure I will have a lot of questions then.  One questions that I already have is how you tapered the bow before planking. Did you shape it to a vee first then planked it and then squared it off to glue on the final stem piece or did you glue the stem piece on before planking and then notched it to accept the planks? Not sure if I'm describing it clearly but I know the instructions do not cover that.

D'Brat

Thank you. Your build looks great.  I have not been able to work on my for a while but hope to be back at the "shipyard" soon. I'm sure I will have a lot of questions then.  One questions that I already have is how you tapered the bow before planking. Did you shape it to a vee first then planked it and then squared it off to glue on the final stem piece or did you glue the stem piece on before planking and then notched it to accept the planks? Not sure if I'm describing it clearly but I know the instructions do not cover that.

Hello again d'brat . First i shaped it to a vee then planked  and finally glued it. I assume you refer to the bow and stern decks.i hope my answer helps , if i did not understand your question please do not hesitate to ask me again. I will send you 2 or three pics of the process . Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

Hello d'brat. You may want to count your deadeyes.  I just (almost) finished the AL Bluenose II but am still waiting for the deadeyes to arrive as the kit came up short by almost half.  Count both sizes and make sure you have enough to do all the ratlines and other rigging.

Cheers

Carl

Completed builds: AL Bluenose II 1:75  Gallery
                              Amati Hannah SIB 1:300  Gallery

Current Build: Bluenose II - SIB - unknown scale

Thank you for the reminder. I did not do a full count of the little bits even though I knew that I should.  I've not been building for a couple of months but I will definitely do the count when I get back to it (hopefully) soon. When you were short where did you order the replacements? My kit came from a local hobby shop so I don't have a mail-order distributor to use.

D'Brat

I'm still waiting for the parts from Great Hobbies out of PEI Canada as their supplier is currently back ordered. You should be able to get the right size deadeyes from your hobby shop or from any online hobby retailer. I found both 3 and 5mm deadeyes online

Carl

Completed builds: AL Bluenose II 1:75  Gallery
                              Amati Hannah SIB 1:300  Gallery

Current Build: Bluenose II - SIB - unknown scale