I have it on order with Amazon. They say it will be released in July.

I also ordered  "British Warships in the Age of Sail 1817-1863: Design, Construction, Careers & Fates" by Rif Winfield. It's due to be released next month. And just maybe it will get to be worth $2000.00 like the 1793-1817 volume.  I have the first twovolumes but they are only worth about $75.00

Can anyone tell me why the only one I am missing is so darn expensive?

Edited by michaelpsutton2

Drown you may, but go you must and your reward shall be a man's pay or a hero's grave

Hi,

I received my reviewers copy yesterday and the book looks very promising. This is supposed to be book one of three on the development and history of the British Sloop.  Book one traces the development of small craft into the design and purpose of the sloops that most of us know of as the work horses of the last quarter of the 18th century. This volume ends at 1763.

First glance says this is going to be a very good series. I will have a more in depth review at a later date.

Thanks,

Bob Friedman

• 1 month later...

Some day I'd like to learn more about model ship building, but in the interim I do a lot of reading.  I happened to notice this post about Ian McLaughlan's new book and thought I'd pass on my thoughts (which I spent all day on Saturday compiling.)

http://www.whatwouldthefoundersthink.com/sloop-of-war-1650-1763

I hope you find it useful.

Best,

Martin

I received my copy a few days ago. I agree with Bob it is quite informative and I am looking forward to seeing Vol 2 in particular. The author is keeping his options open as to whether Vol 2 and Vol 3 will eventuate.

It complements quite nicely David Antscherl's seminal work on the Swan class by providing a useful historical narrative on the development of the sloop class in the British and French Navies.  

Alan

I rec'd my copy yesterday.

A ton of great information. I like the discussion of the various rigs.

How ever I am a touch disappointed in the "book"   Too many of the plans and illustrations are lost in the gutter between pages. It would have been far better to reduce the pics a little and get them on a single page.  The illustration are a little weak on contrast and focus. I think that for volumes of this kind of limited appeal to succeed the book itself has to be a great item, not just the research behind it.  As an example: The plan of the Favorite of 1757 is situated so that the quarter badge and quarter deck hances are rather difficult to see.

It's a fine reference to have in my library but I think just a touch more effort on the part of the publisher could have made it great.

Drown you may, but go you must and your reward shall be a man's pay or a hero's grave

• 1 month later...

So I am barely to the end of my The Sailing Frigate by Robert Gardiner and I come home today and see on the counter this fine book.  I have read the first few pages and it looks really nice.  I also agree that it would be nice if the publisher would not span the gap with pictures/plans.  Other than that it seems like a solid effort.  Will check back when I have had more time perusing this.