Deptford Yard Circa 1774 (England )

edbardet

I'm starting a 3D Graphics Shipyard Model and have several good photos from the NMM. These will allow me to model the various buildings and partial ships.  I've contacted them about the attached file ( A map of the Shipyard) in regards to getting a copy at a high enough resolution to read the legends and have not heard from them yet.

Does anybody have a higher resolution that has readable legends? The original picture taken at the museum was 1280 x 947 but it has been scaled.

As I get going I will post a log on MSW.

Thanks,

Ed

post-112-0-96084600-1395856117_thumb.jpg

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hmm.... I did some Googling and there's also the town "historic district".  I'm wondering if they might have something.    Somewhere I saw a miniature much like the Woolrich yard. Back to Google I guess.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

This looks like it's going to be an interesting project. Hope to see a lot more of it. I took a lot of dock yards pics in the Louvre while visiting Paris. They had a huge room of dock yard setups and/or their fortications in nice diorama's. Spend about an hour looking over everything and taking pics. I don't believe that there were any English ones.

Later Tim

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Well you thread made me remember, so I went and looked at the pics I took and thought that I would post them in a different thread.

Take a look if you want to.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/6177-seaports-and-their-forts-at-the-louvre-paris-france/?p=179294

Later Tim

Edited by Tim C

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

• 2 weeks later...

I think I opened Pandora's box. Doing more research has been fascinating. Evidently there is a big fight going on between Chinese Real Estate tycoons and the city of Deptford over preserving / developing the shipyard area. The Lenox was built there and they are trying to get a reconstruction  / training project going. I ended up getting a e-mail and photos of the legends from the head of the Lenox project who has one of the original maps.

Ed

Ed.

This has been ongoing for some time.  There was site posted here months ago for signing a petition in favor of the preservation.  It sounds like you found the right people for info.   Let's hope that preservation wins, though the big money is talking and has found ears over there.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Ed

Not only have I signed the petition,I have also purchased Richards Ensor's Restoration Warship (posted an article in the book section).This book has masses of information on Deptford dockyard as well as the plans for Lennox.I didn't post a reply as the information is related to the late seventeenth century period rather than the time you intend portraying.Whether or not you would find it easier to focus on this time frame instead,I don't know,but there is a massive amount of information available due to the possible Lennox  reconstruction project.Just hope developers don't get their hands on the land.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Nigel-

I just ordered a copy of the book - should prove an excellent resource. I browsed it on line and the information about supplies, scantlings and labor will make good reading. I've exchanged a couple of e-mails with Julian Kingston who is director of the Lenox Project. Seems like a nice guy and is a witty writer.

Ed

I had an e-mail from the organisers of the petition, which I signed a while back, a few days ago. Apparently the Mayor of London, Boris Johnston, has passed the proposed development scheme – but with the proviso that the developers incorporate both the historic dockyard and Lennox project, and the Sayes Court Garden.

Not quite what either parties wanted, but it seems the Mayor is attempting to satisfy both camps. The petition by the way is now closed.

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

• 2 months later...

Ed

This looks like a really interesting project.

You may want to look at a map that Sir John Evelyn, a well known English diarist who owned a manor in the area in the late 17th century, drew up of Deptford and its environs at that time.

It would be interesting to compare the changes over the period.

A digital copy is on Google.

cheers

Alan

Edited by alangr4