HMS PRINCE by AMATI

pirozzi

Well, I try to do my best  :P. Half of the ornaments were not supplied with the kit so together with a mold (as that correct english) made of silicon and breadcrumbs I made a few with fimo clay. I like the result so far.

post-12984-0-31695100-1400226969_thumb.jpg

Edited by RonvanLeeuwen54

• 10 months later...

Hi Mates,

As most of you know, I have been looking for a kit of the HMS Prince to match my Royal William. There are a few available models, but nothing like the original big one made by Amati back many years ago.

Well, I got a private message from a gentleman on this forum yesterday. I guess he must have read this thread, or otherwise knew I was looking for the big Prince. It just so happens he has the original Amati kit bought many years ago. It is untouched in the original wood box. It even has the fancy brass dolphin bases that they added to some of the kits. The great news is he is wanting to sell it! I BOUGHT IT and he is shipping it to me. :D  :D  :D

I still have a 1983 Model Expo Catalogue that features 2 full page spread on her. She will be my next project after the RW.

Vince P.

post-579-0-42991100-1427404554_thumb.jpg

Congratulations, Vince. You do know that Chris Watton is working on a new HMS Prince to replace the one Amati removed from the catalogue, don't you. That one seems to be a few years away, but it's on my bucket list. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Congratulations, Vince. You do know that Chris Watton is working on a new HMS Prince to replace the one Amati removed from the catalogue, don't you. That one seems to be a few years away, but it's on my bucket list. 

Hi Keith,

Yes, I know Chris is working on a new Amati version of the Prince, but I couldn't pass up on this opportunity to get my hands on a genuine original Amati Prince. It is a great kit and I can take it to whatever level I wish. By the time I get to working on it, maybe the new version will be out and I can use some of the features, be they an improvement over the older version.

Vince :dancetl6:

You do realize that a kit is just a kit is just a kit, meaning a kit to a moderate to skilled modeler is only the beginning steps. Once you have the kit and the basics, you can make it your own version of the ship by research, modifications and a little more money, time and a bit more work. If you have the ability, you can buy the Constructo kit and make it into the Amati version and probably will have a lot more fun building it. I really like Constructo kits for the plans, materials especially the wood as well as the price. Yes, some if not most are not totally 100% accurate, but that is something that you can change.

Good luck with which ever you choose.

Mike  

You do realize that a kit is just a kit is just a kit, meaning a kit to a moderate to skilled modeler is only the beginning steps. Once you have the kit and the basics, you can make it your own version of the ship by research, modifications and a little more money, time and a bit more work. If you have the ability, you can buy the Constructo kit and make it into the Amati version and probably will have a lot more fun building it. I really like Constructo kits for the plans, materials especially the wood as well as the price. Yes, some if not most are not totally 100% accurate, but that is something that you can change.

Good luck with which ever you choose.

Mike  

Hi Mike,

I use a kit as the basic starting point and go up from there. Very few if any kits are 100% accurate. The documentation for something 200-300 years old is often sketchy and many ships were modified with no records to show it. I generally do research on ships of the period in general and make modifications and additions as I see fit. I am happy with doing it this way. I am very fond of the Amati kit and almost bought it 20 years ago. It will be a real fun project.

Vince P. :dancetl6:

Perhaps I am a little influenced by Chris Watton's comment on the other thread where he says that his new HMS Prince kit is nearly the same size as the old kit, despite the new kit being designed for a larger scale. When I asked him why, his reply was that the older kit was not accurately scaled, along with some other mistakes. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Constructo makes one in about the same scale as Amati did, but I like the Amati kit for its better detail. I will get the Constructo kit and add the detail myself.

Thanks,

Vince P.

Hello Vince, great to read that you plan to bye the kit of Constructo. I did the same. Not bad how its progressing. Its really fun to upgrade a rather simple kit like this. Success!!

post-12984-0-09642100-1427561908_thumb.jpg

post-12984-0-53331200-1427561935_thumb.jpg

post-12984-0-40355300-1427561943_thumb.jpg

post-12984-0-13040100-1427563514_thumb.jpg

Edited by RonvanLeeuwen54

• 2 weeks later...

I got a surprise in the mail today. The gentleman that I bought the Amati Prince kit from, apparently had a set of 8x11" full color photographs of the dockyard contemoprary model in the London Science Museum. He sent me them with some research documents as well. They are closeup photos of the model from every angle. They will really help in her construction. The kit should arrive tomorrow or so. :P  :P  :P

Hello Vince, great to read that you plan to bye the kit of Constructo. I did the same. Not bad how its progressing. Its really fun to upgrade a rather simple kit like this. Success!!

Hi Ron,

Your model is magnificent. It doesn't look anything like the Constructo basic kit. You certainly have the talent to make a museum quality model.

OK, I got the kit in the mail today. It is in perfect condition. It is a huge model and bigger than the Royal William and SOS. I want to rig her with sails and she came with a sail plan and sail cloth. :D The box she came in weighs close to 40 pounds.

I will put her away in a safe place and wait until I complete the Royal William. That is probably 1-1/2 years away.

post-579-0-06554000-1428430881_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-66044600-1428430889_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...