HMS PRINCE by AMATI

pirozzi

Hi Everyone,

Amati used to make a kit of the HMS Prince. If you know anyone, or if you have it in your stash and want to sell it, I am very interested. Also, if anyone knows where to possibly get one, I would be greatful.

Thanks,

Vince P.

Hi, I found this, made by Mamoli.

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/Mv80.html

hope this can help

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the response. I am aware of the Mamoli kit. While I like their kits and have built some, their Prince is a 1:144 scale, which is too small to my liking. The Amati kit was something like 1:64. Constructo makes one in about the same scale as Amati did, but I like the Amati kit for its better detail. If I can't find an Amati, I will get the Constructo kit and add the detail myself.

Thanks,

Vince P.

Hi Vince

I have the amati plans,all parts are still available,just not in a box.The casting set is actually fairly inexpensive.Part numbers for other fittings are given on the drawings ,these again are currently listed in amati's catalogue.You would have to source the timber and scrollsaw the frames out.There are about 27 frames on this model!!

Kind Regards

Nigel

Edited by NMBROOK

Currently working on Royal Caroline

If you are going to use the plans for Prince from a Euro kit, there is a factor to check.

A while back, I was investigating 17 century vessels.  It was just after Dean's Doctrine was first printed. I ran thru the exercise of designing a ship based on the directions in the book.  In that era the length of a ship was based on "touch". Essentially, this is the part of the keel that actually touches the baseline.  At a later time this was changed to "length between perpenticulars" or "length of gundeck" (which is essentially the same thing).

The reported length of Prince would be based on touch.

The plans seem to have used that value as though it was LBP.  The plans as drawn are forshortened by not including the radius of the stem and the cant of the stern.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Hi Jaager

I asked Chris Watton about the original Amati plans and he confirms they are not accurate. Subsequent investigation by myself revealed they are miles away from the builders model.Because of this I an awaiting to see if Chris's prototype goes into production at some point.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hi Vince

I have the amati plans,all parts are still available,just not in a box.The casting set is actually fairly inexpensive.Part numbers for other fittings are given on the drawings ,these again are currently listed in amati's catalogue.You would have to source the timber and scrollsaw the frames out.There are about 27 frames on this model!!

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thanks much, Nigel. I assume you can go to their website and order the plans and parts?

Vince P.

Hi Vince

To be honest,I am not sure as the parts are so easily available in the UK.You will have to buy the plans first in order to compile the list of fittings.There is a table of quantities on the drawings for the fittings if I remember correctly.If you have any difficulty,you may find it easier to order items from either Cornwall model Boats or the model dockyard in the UK.One UK retailer many years ago did offer a complete package including timber after the kit was discontinued,I think it was the model dockyard but it is many years ago now and can't be sure.Nick Tomkin is a very helpful chap,you can always drop him an email,I dare say he would be able to advise if he did and still can sell you the complete package.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hi Brian

To be honest I am still in a quandry as to whether I should build the model.The hull is a fair size being 1/64 scale and the castings are very nice.Whilst there are some inaccuracies historically,the model if far,far superior to the Constructo version.On top of the castings there are many decorative brass sections to purchase.These come in lengths and are cut to suit.It is worth googling Amati Hms Prince,there are many images online.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hi Vince

I am currently building the Constructo version. It's not that bad, but I have seen the old Amati version, and it does look much nicer. I found a build log on another site of someone who is scratch building the Amati version. You can still purchase the plans. I believe Cornwall Models has them.

http://www.modelshipbuilder.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?3709

Check this link out and see the model for yourself. As mentioned by NMBROOK, it does have 27 frames! But looks fantastic!

Cheers Adam

Current build : http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/6891-us-brig-syren-by-spiderpig-model-shipways-scale-164-1803/#entry202979

Mare Nostrum

Past builds : Artesania Latina Virginia 1819, Occre Corsair Bridgantine, Constructo HMS Prince

Since when has any of the Continental manufacturers ever got the scale right?  My observation is they put the scale the box they want with little to no bearing on what's in the kit.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi All

When Prince was rebuilt into Royal William,her hull was both lengthened and widened.This was commonplace for the British Navy at the time and ships were rebuilt using a rule of proportional scale.I won't elaborate on the theory,I have a book covering the calculations used and it covers many pages.

See the wiki article with dimensions here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Prince_(1670)

Interesting to see she had 3 rebuilds the last in 1756 which reduced the then Royal William to 80 guns.

Kind Regards

Nigel

I hope you get the opportunity to finish this kit development Chris.She will make a stunning model.Can I be really cheeking and ask your point of reference for the hull lines.I have done preliminary investigations which have yielded nothing.The NMM don't list anything on their website and other plan offerings are as dubious as Amati's first attempt re accuracy.I actually think the most accurate kit produced was the plastic airfix example.I had one many years ago and trying to find one on ebay is not easy,they are as rare as hen's teeth now.

Kind Regards 

Nigel

I hope you get the opportunity to finish this kit development Chris.She will make a stunning model.Can I be really cheeking and ask your point of reference for the hull lines.I have done preliminary investigations which have yielded nothing.The NMM don't list anything on their website and other plan offerings are as dubious as Amati's first attempt re accuracy.I actually think the most accurate kit produced was the plastic airfix example.I had one many years ago and trying to find one on ebay is not easy,they are as rare as hen's teeth now.

Kind Regards 

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

I actually used the lines taken directly off the original dockyard model - I think these are about as accurate as we're going to get for the Prince. I then used all of the Van De Velde drawings that exist for most of the outer detail and parts which conflicted slightly with the original model (which was probably made before the actual vessel was launched, by which time a few changes were probably made - like the small protruding gallery at the stern)

I re designed from the original about 10 years ago, and that is what the model above is based - but a couple of years ago, I re designed it again to take into account newer techniques I use now - I am just waiting for these new designs to be cut for me.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

I will ask Amati when I can 'slot' this one in (have got three developments on the go right now..) - it is frustrating for me, as it happens to be my all time favourite ship - I love the lines and curves, and it's not half as 'gaudy' as SOTS - and it has a great history. Just checked my design files - I re did them in 2011, to more or less the same designs as Victory and Bellona, with lower, middle and upper gun decks - and gun port positions that slot into the bulkheads, rather than the old and flawed ply gun port patterns.

logo.jpg

@Chris

If not, perhaps it is possible to publish your drawings. The Prince is allways a very fine ship to build a model.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

The drawings are not mine to fully publish. Amati own them as they paid me for the designs. It would be very unprofessional and reckless in the extreme to publish them without the permission of the owners - and there would be nothing to stop unscrupulous people copying them and then calling them their own. :)

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

Thanks Chris and I totally agree,the dockyard model is the ideal point of reference.Did you actually take them off the model yourself?It would be interesting as to know the whereabouts of this model now in light of the science museum closing the display.I do remember the original development of your model and the adverts in the UK mags stating coming soon :D I guess a lot is dictated to you by Amati and obviously they have the final say as to what they want when.As you will be starting with almost a blank sheet of paper again,do you think there is any mileage in suggesting to Amati to produce this one in 1/48?As mentioned earlier in this thread,the Prince was substantially smaller than Royal William and even at 1/48 I should imagine will still not be as large as your forthcoming Victory.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thanks Chris and I totally agree,the dockyard model is the ideal point of reference.Did you actually take them off the model yourself?It would be interesting as to know the whereabouts of this model now in light of the science museum closing the display.I do remember the original development of your model and the adverts in the UK mags stating coming soon :D I guess a lot is dictated to you by Amati and obviously they have the final say as to what they want when.As you will be starting with almost a blank sheet of paper again,do you think there is any mileage in suggesting to Amati to produce this one in 1/48?As mentioned earlier in this thread,the Prince was substantially smaller than Royal William and even at 1/48 I should imagine will still not be as large as your forthcoming Victory.

Kind Regards

Nigel

The plans I used were actually drawn years ago and were purchased from the NMM, so I didn't take the lines off the model myself. All you do get is hull lines (including bulkheads) - but for the new designs I did, there weren't enough bulkhead lines in the plans, so I had to add a few myself.

The plans were 48th scale, and trust me, the model would be way too big for this scale. At 64th, I find it a perfect size, although perhaps a little too large for some modellers - the hull is a lot larger than say, the Vanguard kit and only smaller  than the 64th scale Victory (about the same depth/height, but obviously a little narrower and shorter, with Prince being 100 years older). I don't think the original Prince would have been substantially smaller than Royal William - but also you have to treat with caution the stated scales on older Italian kits - the original Amati Prince was stated as 78th scale, but my new designs have the length almost the same at 64th as the stated 78th scale original (although there's so much wrong with the original it shouldn't even be called Prince - hull shape and profiles are very different). I am sure the Italians used to use 'ballpark figures' for scales...

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

An interesting point regarding the old Amati plans.I have these,albeit more recently printed and have always understood these to be 1/64 scale.I will check,but I am sure no scale is stated on the plans,but neither can I remember where this scale was mentioned :blush: The scale isn't even listed in Amati's catalogue.As you say it can be assumed that this is the correct scale,just the fact that the hull is incorrect in many aspects.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Edited by NMBROOK

Hi Vince

I am currently building the Constructo version. It's not that bad, but I have seen the old Amati version, and it does look much nicer. I found a build log on another site of someone who is scratch building the Amati version. You can still purchase the plans. I believe Cornwall Models has them.

http://www.modelshipbuilder.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?3709

Check this link out and see the model for yourself. As mentioned by NMBROOK, it does have 27 frames! But looks fantastic!

Cheers Adam

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the link.

Vince P.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the link.

Vince P.

Hi Vince, I'm new on this forum but I read your topic. I'm am also building the Constructo version 1:61 and for this price, about € 300,- it is not a bad kit. The wood, drawings, plans and sails are good quality. The But my challenge is to take such a simple kit and "drive it in to the ground". I found this website  http://www.milebijelic.com/?page_id=4. As you see its a Croation builder. I found the quality of this ship unbelievable and for me my goal to approach this quality. This means that i have to create a lot of ornaments myself because the Constructo kit is not even close to this beautiful ship. But thats the sport. Okay, when its finished the price will be dubbled but it will be something special.

Here is a picture how it is at this moment.

Maybe you can follow my topic on http://www.modelbouwforum.nl/forums/bouwverslagen-historische-schepen/203279-bouwverslag-h-m-s-prince-1-61-constructo.html

Ron

post-12984-0-60969600-1398847115_thumb.jpg

Hi Vince, I'm new on this forum but I read your topic. I'm am also building the Constructo version 1:61 and for this price, about € 300,- it is not a bad kit. The wood, drawings, plans and sails are good quality. The But my challenge is to take such a simple kit and "drive it in to the ground". I found this website  http://www.milebijelic.com/?page_id=4. As you see its a Croation builder. I found the quality of this ship unbelievable and for me my goal to approach this quality. This means that i have to create a lot of ornaments myself because the Constructo kit is not even close to this beautiful ship. But thats the sport. Okay, when its finished the price will be dubbled but it will be something special.

Here is a picture how it is at this moment.

Maybe you can follow my topic on http://www.modelbouwforum.nl/forums/bouwverslagen-historische-schepen/203279-bouwverslag-h-m-s-prince-1-61-constructo.html

Ron

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the link. His ship is fabulous. Do you know if it is the Amati setup, or is it a scratch build. The decorations are great and I wonder if they are the Amati set.

Thanks,

Vince P.

I have seen that Prince from the Croatian builder. She is a beauty! I often look at my Prince and wish I made some changes to her. But maybe I'll build her again in the future. I have heard talk of Amati re-releasing her sometime,but I'm not sure when.

Adam

Current build : http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/6891-us-brig-syren-by-spiderpig-model-shipways-scale-164-1803/#entry202979

Mare Nostrum

Past builds : Artesania Latina Virginia 1819, Occre Corsair Bridgantine, Constructo HMS Prince

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the link. His ship is fabulous. Do you know if it is the Amati setup, or is it a scratch build. The decorations are great and I wonder if they are the Amati set.

Thanks,

Vince P.

Hi, you can read on his site how he made it. http://www.milebijelic.com/?page_id=4#contentBox

Completely from drawing which he had from the Londonmuseum of Science. Took him 5 years. This man is awsome,

• 2 weeks later...

That is indeed one awesome build! I can hardly wait for the new Prince by Chris. Looks like it will be fantastic.

Current builds: Santa Maria (multi-kit bash), Constellation (AL)

Past builds: Beagle, Thermopylae (restoration), Blue Shadow, Wappen von Hamburg, Half Moon, America, Golden Hind

Ships in bottles (some): Marco Polo, viking ship, Prince