Are all Exacto blades equally sharp when new?

I am using brand new exacto blades to cross cut .6mm x 5 mm rawmin, and I am wondering why it is so difficult.  Is it just my expectations as to how easily the cut should be made, or are these blades just not sharp enough, even though new?  Is it best to make several light passes over the wood or one pass pressing down hard.  Cutting through this material I find a sharp scissors does the job better.  If not Exacto, is there a better option for a cutting knife; maybe a scalpel?

X-acto blades aren't necessarily the best for everything. Those sharp points often break off in the more brittle or hard woods. This can be remedied a little by using a stone and grind off the back of the tip to give a little more metal to back up the point. I also keep a Flexcut  woodcarving knife handy as a bench knife. Its got a big wooden handle and you can put a lot of downward pressure on the blade for crosscuts. Also a NWSL chopper tool will crosscut most small x-section lumber easily and accurately. My 2 cents. BILL

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

These blades are okay out of the package but I found that giving them a honing before using them makes a diffrence.  As stated above they are not always the best tool to use.  However when using I found that scoring the wood several times makes for a cleaner cut and can also be safer than trying to cut with one try.  For thicker material It is safer to use a utility knife with a anticut glove.  You might laugh at the glove but i speak from experience that using one is cheaper than going to the ER.

David B

Edited by dgbot

I worked for a surgeon from FL for 2 years on his yacht and he told me 

"That not all scalpels where made equal even out of the same box"

But Box's of scalpels can be bought quite reasonable on line 

Keep sharp

Andy

Current Build

HM Granado CC

Past builds

HMS Chatham CC, HM Convulsion CC,  Duke William German Kit, Fair American LSS, The Wright Flyer MS

Thanks all.  I have a niece who is an orthopedic surgeon.  Maybe she'll send me her used scalpels.  And all other suggestions will be tried.  Especially the glove.  My nephew ( husband of the niece) is the head MD at SF General ER, and he has warned me several times about that. 

When I was still working my company would issue everyone a pair of anti-cut gloves.  I was not wearing one and took some stiches and got written up for it.  Safety using a knife should always be on your mind.

David B

• 3 weeks later...

Captain Al ,perhaps a small razor saw would be a better tool for cutting across the wood it would give a square cut and actually remove the material in the same way that a chisel cuts . if you think about how a saw blade is designed it is a row of micro chisels. An eXaco blade works more like an axe it is a wedge albeit a sharp wedge.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.