Hi

As a newbie to this site I would like some advice please

I recently finished an AL Arab Dhow and used Admiralty Matt Varnish which is acrylic.

I noticed that if I applied 2 coats, after a fine rub down between, there are very subtle but noticable " milky" patches, giving almost a dusty appearance. This doesn't look right and I'm not sure if it's something I've done wrong?

Has anyone encountered this before or is it something acrylic matt varnishes are prone to do?

If they are what would a better product to use?

any advice gratefully received, many thanks

John

John,

Can you post us a picture?   It almost sounds like glue smears....

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I noticed that if I applied 2 coats, after a fine rub down between, there are very subtle but noticable " milky" patches, giving almost a dusty appearance. This doesn't look right and I'm not sure if it's something I've done wrong?

Hi John,

Are you referring to Caldercrafts Admiralty varnish? I had a similar problem with a 'milky' looking finish when I used their Flat Matt Varnish on top of their Red Ochre paint thinking it would give a protective finish to the paint.

I did use it on the bare wood decks of my Endeavour, although can't remember if I used 1 or 2 coats and didn't have any problems but then the decks are pretty light in colour so would't be noticeable if milky.  I think the problem is after the first coat or on top of paint it can't penetrate the surface and just lies there.

I can't rember but I think I touched up the Red Ochre again but can't check as it is packed away in storage.  After that I use minwax wipe on poly (satin) applied with a brush as goes on nice (2 coats also) and highlights the wood. I was disappointed in the Flat Matt Varnish as it didn't change the wood one iota and can't tell it had been varnished.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Hi Slog, thanks for your reply

It was the Jokita product which I assume is Caldercraft, the matt version, not flat matt.

Where I only applied one coat it seems OK, no alteration in colour to the kit basswood, however did darken the kit walnut and sappely. The problem seems to manifest itself on where I applied two coats on the dark wood. It also leaves a more satin finish.

i will upload some pics in a couple of days hopefully to show the problem.

not sure we have the min wax product here in the UK?

recommendations would be welcome!

OK Cap'n

I may have found the answer to your problem in a build log in Tamiya Modeling Magazine. Builder was using Humbrol Matt varnish and indicated he had to stir it every two or three minutes with a high speed mixer to keep it from "Icing" as he described the whitening.. He also applied it "quite wet"  with his airbrush. You did not mention how you applied your finish. Admiralty does not make their own paint and it could be that Humbrol makes it for them.

Hope this helps

Best

Jaxboat B)

• 6 months later...